75 with 14" jaguar cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:read: [/QUOTE]Managuense, Jaguar Cichlid, Managua Cichlid
"Cichlasoma" (Nandopsis) managuense
SYN: Heros managuense
PD: An elongated cichlid with an up-turned mouth. The most common color type has a pinkish-gray to beige background, base coloration. The body is covered with black spots and splotches. These are very irregular and no two fish have the same pattern. On the fins, this pattern continues. The iris of the eye is bright red.
SIZE: Males to 20" (50 cm), females to 16" (40 cm); not usually larger than 14" (35 cm) in captivity.
SS: C. mortaguense
HAB: Found in still to slow-moving water. Central America: Lake Managua, Lake Nicaragua in Nicaragua; to Southern Costa Rica and Southern Honduras.
S: bottom
TANK: 36" (91 cm) or 45 gallons (170 L) is sufficient for young individuals up to 8" (20 cm). However, this fish can grow up to 12" (30 cm) its first year, and should be moved to a 72" (183 cm) or 100 gallon (378 L) tank. The tank should have open swimming areas, and be supplied with hiding places of rocks, roots, and wood. These fish burrow and uproot plants. Use potted or plastic plants.
WATER: pH 7-8.5 (7.2), dH 5-18 (8), 73-79°F (23-26°C)
SB: A territorial fish that is an active predator. The Managuense is intolerant of its own species. Combine with other large, robust fish, especially cichlids. Pairs form nuclear families and are fine parents.
SC: Cichlasomines, other South American cichlids, Loricarids, Pimelodids, large Characins, Hemichromis, Tilapia.
FOOD: Live; fish, earthworms; raw meat; pellets; large flakes; tablets
SEX: The larger and more colorful males have pointed anal and dorsal fins. Males have a pointed genital papilla.
B: Some report breeding as difficult while others consider it fairly easy. In any case, up to 5000 yellow eggs are laid on a surface. The male guards the eggs and the fry very aggressively. The young grow quickly if fed live foods (Daphnia, Artemia). The pair often will break up after spawning and look for another mate.
BP: 7. Breeding the Managuense is fairly difficult because of the size the fish reach.
R: The Managuense is a major food fish and can often be found in local fish markets in its native lands. Different color populations based on geographical location exist.
DC: 6. The Managuense grows to a very large size. It must be regularly fed live foods to keep it from picking on smaller tank mates.
Courtesy: Mongabay Fish Species Database
Parachromis Managuensis / Cichlasoma Managuense / Jaguar Cichlid
Natural Range: Costa Rica, El Salvador, South Mexico and Nicaragua
Size: 18" (45 cm) TL.
Water Chemistry: Tropical: slightly alkaline with moderate hardness.
Behavior: Very aggressive.
Dietary Requirements: All types of meaty and prepared foods.
Remarks: The Jaguar Cichlid is popular with hobbyists, who inadvertently
purchase this species without knowing what they are in for down the road.
This species needs a huge aquarium (475 liters) and plenty of food. Good
quality filtration is essential, since they are susceptible to head and lateral-
line erosion.
Courtesy: Encyclopedia of Exotic Tropical Fish - G.S.Axelrod

There are numerous sources of info besides just random "opinions" hope this helps a little. Don't just stop at these excerpts. Knowledge is power. I try to share the things I come across because (my sig) is REAL! I'll say again, I admire your determination (it's a rare quality)!! Just don't let it close your mind. Good Luck (last try)

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
There are also several pages that recommend 48x18 as a minimum size.

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=18124&cid=3787&search=
http://www.aquariumarticles.com/read/?art=1677
http://www.thatpetplace.com/LiveFish/Products/KW/AMERICAN,CICHLID,FFISH/Class/American+Cichlids/T1/F90+0022+0080/Detail.aspx

Note that when sites mention a 75g minimum, it's still a recommendation that you can keep a jag properly in a 75. Any fish will be happier in a larger tank, but if there's a minimum tank size listed, what's wrong with using the minimum?

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:read:
TANK: 36" (91 cm) or 45 gallons (170 L) is sufficient for young individuals up to 8" (20 cm). However, this fish can grow up to 12" (30 cm) its first year, and should be moved to a 72" (183 cm) or 100 gallon (378 L) tank. The tank should have open swimming areas, and be supplied with hiding places of rocks, roots, and wood. These fish burrow and uproot plants. Use potted or plastic plants.
I guess anything can be done if you so chose but the question is SHOULD it be done?? The "minimum" size tank isn't meant for the "maximum" size fish. The 'grow out' is for the "minimum". Once the fish starts to grow, larger quarters will be necessary! Think about it, how can you have "open swimming areas, hiding places, rocks, ect." & a 20 in. fish in the minimum??? :duh:

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
thanks for the info, but not really anything new to me. in my opinion a minimum is a way of saying "if you cant provide AT LEAST this size tank, dont buy this fish." mine has swimming space, a hiding place, and himself in there. i do not think the minimum is a way of saying grow-out , otherwise they would say "grow out tank of at least xxx, and a display tank of at least yyy."

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I agree that some people are being a bit hard on you here. I've definitely seen Jags kept in worse conditions and I applaud you for your effort in giving him the best home you can afford at this time. I'm sure you'll upgrade again sometime in the future. Good luck with him.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:read:
Dr. Paul Loiselle talks about cichlid behavior in his book "The Cichlid Aquarium." Dr. Loiselle likens cichlid behavior to that of other wild animals kept in zoos, e.g. the lion kept in too small a cage that relentlessly paces against the metal cage bars. To paraphrase the good doctor, cichlids get angry, depressed, or even become "crazy" when improperly housed or cared for.

How do we keep cichlids happy and healthy? They need room, Room, ROOM! Think in terms of 60 gallons (or more) PER FOOT LONG CICHLID! Seem extreme? Not at all. Cichlids have lots of space in the wild, and although they will adjust to the confines of an aquarium, there are limits as to how "cramped" they can be.

180, 200 & 220g: Standard 180g aquariums measure 6' x 2'; 200 and 220g are often (approx.) 7' and 8' versions. These two-foot wide tanks are great for large (12"+) solitary specimens such as Managuense, Haitiensis, and Trimaculatum, or for a mixed community of small and mid-sized cichlids.
Courtesy: "The Cichlid Scene"

I'll try this again, the 'minimum' size tank is NOT meant for the 'maximum' size fish. It's what you start out with if you're planning to keep said fish. As the fish grows so must the housing in order for the fish to be comfortable. You moved from the crib, to a small bed then to a larger bed. You could probably still fit the small bed but you'd be cramped as hell (& that'd be just 4 one nite)!! I did say "last try" a few posts back but you intrigue me. :confused: You requested 'fact' rather than just 'opinions' so I tried to oblige. I'm not angry, just puzzled??? Why say "show me", only to ignore what is shown??? This is not a 'win or lose' deal it's a learning process, an exchange of infomation. You say you've 'heard all the horror stories', 'seen all the movies' & 'read all the books' but don't or won't recognize the error in judgement.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i dont think you are right about the minimum size tank thing. if the minimum really isnt the minimum why would it be quoted as the minimum? its why they list the max size of the species and the minimum tank size in most species profiles, to let you know what size tank at MINIMUM you need to have this species. if it really wasnt big enough for that species than its not the minimum now is it. it seems like you are twisting the definition of 'minimum' recommendations because they dont support your argument that my tank is too small.

i am not closed to the info, i am very open to it. i know there are many recommendations to have a tank even bigger than mine for my fish. what i am asking for is specific details about what actual harm will come to my fish if he is kept in the 75. one of your quotes mentioned something about depression, anger, and insanity. well if you can tell the difference between an angry cichlid and one defending its territory, please share. as for depression, lethargy in a sit and wait predator would also be hard to measure. depression in general woudl be hard to diagnose in a cichlid. the insanity thing is also something that i would like to have explained if that doctor has actually seen it. of course if i saw a change in behavior that could be explained at all by being in too small of a tank, i would do something about it.

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
Agreed, whenever I've seen people quote minimum tank sizes, they have been quoting the minimum size for a full grown fish. I've never seen two minimums quoted. That would only confuse people and lead them to believe that they should get a fish if they plan on upgrading. Not everyone gets addicted to upgrading. ;) Furthermore, if there were two minimums, the 75 would be fine for a 14" fish. If the fish were to approach 18" I think you might have a case on your hands.

GynMonkey1044

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2006
Everyone would like to have a bigger tank but you people need to get real. I believe it is better for someone to have a fish in smaller tank that is taken care of and recieves attention (like 50% water changes weekly) than to stick it in a huge tank taht is ignored. Most hobbiest are not a big fan of devoting an entire tank to one fish. I think a 75 is fine. If he were to get rid of the fish it would probably end up at a pet store stuck in a 30 gallon tank until some moran says ooo thats a big fish and buys it and puts it in a 55 with two oscars and a pacu. Keeping it in the hands of a fish keeper who cares about the fish is a great thing. I would love a 500 gallon pond for my 24 inch bamboo shark but its just not in the cards. His fish is clearly recieving excellent care so you people need to get a life and back off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store