75G FOWLR Journal - Cycle is complete!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks.

I knew there was a chance for aggression between the angels, but figured it to be more of a problem between the 'Dwarf' species.
I would be much more worried about 2 Coral Beauties or a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel being kept together (for example). Though I have seen the two kept together in much smaller tanks without incident.
Yet, the risk is still there and I would never openly give someone the advice to do the same.
IME, encounters between angels usually involves quite a bit of 'aggressive showing/flashing' and some chasing, but nothing serious.
I've seen much worse between Tangs, Clowns and Damsels yet so many folks keep multiples of these fish, as well.

My Cichlid tank is much more of a gladiator battle coliseum, any day. ;)

Fact is, I knew the risk, rationalized it (75G, large tank, lots of hiding spots, one dwarf species, one not), and took the gamble. If things do get ugly, believe me when I say the Coral Beauty will be the 1st to go. The Poma stays. :D

On a different note, it appears that alot of the new macros took the shipping pretty hard and are now turning white/bleaching. Which means they probably are going sexual. I'll keep a close eye on the tank and the water the next few days. Some water changes may be required.

Angel 0249

AC Members
Feb 25, 2007
UK
That is one awsome tank you have there.
Thanks for sharing and some great pics too.
Keep up the good work.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks, Angel.

Most of the algae grazers and crabs have been tearing through the new macros. I guess they're quite tasty. lol
More power to them. That's the good thing about macros, they keep on growing back. ;)

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Can't believe I just now spotted this thread. I must be slacking off around here. ;)

Tank looks great! You weathered the hair algae rather well. I've dabbled in the stuff myself, and am just now coming out the other end.

On stocking, it doesn't look to me that you're overstocked. You don't have much rock, really, so there's plenty of swimming area, but you do have enough rock for fish to set up territories.

You mentioned you have some Ochodes. Could you shoot a pic of that and post it? I'm in the process of getting some blue macro algae myself, and I think that's what it is, but not sure.

The only thing I don't really like in your tank is your fake coral. I've never liked the look of fake anything in tanks before...but, of course, that's my personal preference, and it ain't my tank!

If I may make a suggestion: Buy a bottle of tigger pods (made by reef nutrition) and dump them in. Fish like to eat them, they proliferate quickly in macro, and they're great all around for the tank.

Good luck!

:)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Sub. The Blue-Red Ochodes is on the right side of the tank at the top of the rock.

I've removed most of the coral replicas...you should have seen it from the beginning. I'm not a huge fan of it either and the only one I'll eventually remove will be the green one on the far left when I eventually put a few mushrooms and sun corals in the tank. The other ones look like coral skeletons to me and is really hard to tell them from the real deal. They'll eventually get covered in coralline. (which is what I want).
There is about 70 lbs of rock and 60 lbs of sand in there. I do like plenty of swimming space. ;) I never really liked tanks packed full of rock, though I am aware of the benefits. I have plenty of room for coral if I ever go full reef with this tank. Though I am in no hurry at the moment.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
That is one fantastic tank you've created there Slappy. I just love the way you have all the macro algae in your main tank. Looking at all your pictures is making me want to start all over again with mine:headbang2:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Here are some side shots showing the swimming room in this tank.
You'll also notice the bleaching I was talking about and the thinning of the macros (from the grazers) in these shots. The fish are very fat and happy...lol. The good thing is, once the macros are added to the tank, any spores introduced to the tank will regrow on the rock over time. I noticed some Sargassum and some light blue looking macros(?) growing as well. (late blooming LR hitchhikers)
It is possible the Ochodes is something else and was mislabled. It really doesn't look like other pics I've seen of it...unless it's a different variety. I bought an assorted red macro algae pack and Ochodes was listed as one of the species shipped.:huh:

100_2558.jpg 100_2559.jpg

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Thanks Sub. The Blue-Red Ochodes is on the right side of the tank at the top of the rock.

I've removed most of the coral replicas...you should have seen it from the beginning. I'm not a huge fan of it either and the only one I'll eventually remove will be the green one on the far left when I eventually put a few mushrooms and sun corals in the tank. The other ones look like coral skeletons to me and is really hard to tell them from the real deal. They'll eventually get covered in coralline. (which is what I want).
There is about 70 lbs of rock and 60 lbs of sand in there. I do like plenty of swimming space. ;) I never really liked tanks packed full of rock, though I am aware of the benefits. I have plenty of room for coral if I ever go full reef with this tank. Though I am in no hurry at the moment.
Wonderful Tank! I also like lots of swimming space. Someone on another forum introduced me to the concept of "islands" (something that you can create with a small amount of live rock in your tank). She (or He XD) suggested that rather than pile rocks in one giant bunch I should separate them a bit. Now I have four unique rock structures. I figured its a great idea for coral growth (less chance of aggression) and for fish territories.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'm huge fan of rock piles/islands/bridges and columns, myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store