9wpg, which plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
Some other small plants you should look into, and all of these will love lots of light: Hemianthus micranthemoides, Micranthemum umbrosum, Marsilea, Pogostemon helferi, Lysimachia nummularia, Lillaeopsis and of course Glosso. Remember the stem plants will usually keep growing and growing, but they're easy to keep trimmed, and all the ones I mentioned have nice little leaves, suitable for small tanks. None of these have any red, so you can also try Ludwigia arcuata, Didiplis diandra and Mayaca (aka Rotala Nanjenshan, I had this once and it was great in a small tank).

Anubias nana petit is very adorable (though traditionally considered low light), and there are some very small crypts as well (I have some in my foreground, they stay under 2", not sure what they're called though)

Where are you getting your plants? I'm mostly restricted to local LFS's, and even I have managed to grow most of the above plants at one time or another (only exceptions are P. helferi, Lillaeopsis and Didiplis). However, finding ALL these plants at the SAME time is challenging unless you're ordering online.

3 gallon, this is going to be so cute! Please post pics when you've planted it.

taku

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Will do! Last night I moved all the saltwater coral and inverts from the picotope 3g back to my display reef tank cleaned everything. I'm looking forward to getting substrate in the tank and my diy co2 running. I'll post pics once there's something to look at :D

taku

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Man I tell you what, the more I read here the more fascinated I am... and naturally am left with more questions that have probably been asked before.

I understand the more light I provide my plants, the more co2 I should provide them with. I also understand DIY co2 is no where near the co2 production of a regular pressurized unit... this being the case along with my having a 3gallon tank with 9wpg ... do you think the tank would benefit from me having 2 x 2L DIY co2's? Or even 3 or 4 daisy chained together? Maybe on an alternating cycle. Like start co2 production in one of the 2L's today for example.. and the other 2L start it's cycle next week.

Thanks!

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Start off with one 2L bottle get the hang of setting it up and seeing its production and how long it will last. See how plants go with it. Then if anything add a 2nd bottle. 2 bottles for a tank like this will be more than enough especially if you diffuse it properly.

If you would like you can get a co2 drop checker (check ebay) and know your co2 levels. This way you will know when your diy co2 is slowing down

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store