A couple more recipes for snail food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
Can you put just normal calcium pills you buy from local Wal*Mart or Sam's Club in the tank with the snails (even if there are fish, like a betta or whatever in the tank)??

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
o' coarse you can, bettas like hard water... guppies love hard water, JIC of anyone wants to ask about guppies

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Im going to do the snail jello tomorrow. can you tell me, how long do i leave it in the tank, and if I give some to my fish will it be ok to? I can not wait to try this !!! Rachal, some day when you get to making the biscuits, I would love to purchase them for my snails to.:) they sound yummy!! ( after christmas when cash is easier :) I can not wait to try the snail jello, but the calcium powder, where to get? my pet store does nto carry it.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
one more question or two :), with feeding the jello and biscuits, will I need to change the tank water way more often? I have very beautiful babys now but they will grow big and I want to make sure the water is pristine.
Also will fish eat this jello ? sounds like a good food for them since it has vegtables and fish food.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
try finding those tiny icube trays at walmart or other stores that make little cubes for the water bottles and such that way they are smaller amounts........or try to reuse the blood worm packetts that they come in little cubes, after empty of course..:idea:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
can you tell me, how long do i leave it in the tank, and if I give some to my fish will it be ok to? I put it in at night and leave it until morning, its almost always gone. I cut it into postage stamp sized thin pieces. My bottom feeding fish all eat it as well. Sometimes I will add freeze dried bloodworms or the like to cater to the fish more than the snails. I can not wait to try this !!! Rachal, some day when you get to making the biscuits, I would love to purchase them for my snails to.:) Absolutely, I really need to get hot on that! I just have been so busy playinig catch up after my surgery. You will be the first to know!! :) I can not wait to try the snail jello, but the calcium powder, where to get? my pet store does nto carry it. I get it in the reptile section, reptical without phosphorus. You could also use crushed calcium pills from the drugstore. Alos, you could put egg shells in the recipe in place of calcium powder as well.
one more question or two :), with feeding the jello and biscuits, will I need to change the tank water way more often?I just do regular weekly maintenance. I would start out feeding less than you think they need. The gelatin holds the food together well so its not very messy. The biscuits do dissolve more, so I usually take a turkey baster and remove any uneaten portions in the morning. I have very beautiful babys now but they will grow big and I want to make sure the water is pristine.
Also will fish eat this jello ? My cherry barbs, cories, plecos, and gourami love it. The tetras don't really go after it as much. sounds like a good food for them since it has vegtables and fish food.
I just sperad the jello out thinly on a dinner plate and refrigerate. Then I cut it into little squares, postage stamp sized to about half that size. Goodl uck with your new babies Karla!!!

TH3RD_LEG

DE LA ISLA DEL ENCANTO!!!!!
Oct 20, 2008
Meriden, Ct
MY OWN VARIATION ON A SNAIL JELLO RECIPE

Luis' Sweet Butternut Squash Hot- Diggity Snail Jello

Ingredients

Yellow Squash (Butternut, Pumpkin etc.) (about 3 cups of cubed pieces)
1 tb+ fish food (may be omitted)
Calcium/Vitamin supplements (I use calcium chloride powder).
1 packet (= 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin

Instructions

* Cut Squash into small cubes and steam for about 20 mins - so not to lose valuable vitamins.
* Take steamed squash and crush or mush into a paste like consistency.
* Stir in the unflavored gelatin (add it slowly to avoid unsightly clumps of gelatin; don't use a blender or you risk creating air bubbles that will make it
float) crushing any lumps with the back of a spoon.
* Add calcium supplements and vitamins if you have/want them. Stir thoroughly.

* Fold in your fish food(s) if you are adding any.
* Pour this mixture into a dish with a flat bottom (Tupperware-type containers work well; if you are doubling or tripling this recipe, you might consider a pie pan).*
* Refrigerate for several hours, then return and cut into cubes.
* Keep them refrigerated until serving.

Note: These sink and hold up pretty well in the tank, but as with any food, large uneaten portions should be removed after the snails have finished. These can be frozen for up to a month.You can use an ice cube tray to create big treats for a tank full of snails. No slicing is needed in this case.

WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

YUMMM MAKES YA WISH YOU WERE A SNAIL HUH?
LUIS :lol:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store