A good algae eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
what are the little gold colored fish? what is the temp? most likely a common pleco should be fine (until it gets too big).

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
Don't get a common pleco, they grow huge. A bristlenose, rubbernose pleco, maybe a clown, or a hillstream loach.

WHat do you mean 3 gold colored fish? Do you have a picture?

hobie237

So my girlfriend got me into fish..
Nov 1, 2005
Newark, DE (u of del)
We have a clown pleco and an oto to take care of our 20g, along with a few ghost shrimp. Common plecos get HUGE and also (I've heard) dont eat algae their whole life, they grow out of it. The Clown, however, will eat algae its whole life and never get very big at all.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
bristlenose and rubberlip plecos dont get big either, and you may like them more.

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Most of the fish listed above seem like tropicals to me. Not good for a coldwater tank I'd think.

How big is your tank?

I'd recommend a scrub brush and frequent water changes to control algae before knowing the environment.

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
stick with a comman pleco. cheap and effeciant, and when it gets too big donate it and get another small one, simple. u dont need anything fancy.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
plecos do not belong in a tank with goldfish. they have different water requirements. Also..I have seen a large goldie with a perfect circle a pleco ate in it's side.
When I kept goldies, I had an apple snail in the tank. Did just fine keeping the algae down. the only thing you have to watch is if the goldies mistake the snails breathing apparatus for a worm and try to go after it. Mine diidn't tho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store