A planted tank thats possibly an industry first.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
i have had another stump in the first setup and it did get very soft just by brushing against it i'd have a for lack of a better term shaving would come off of it but this stump you see now i decided to go against the rules and try a cedar stump. while i agree using a green/fresh cedar stump probably is not the best idea as cedars have a lot of oils in it. This stump i used was one that had fallen over and it appeared to be at least a few years dead. This stump has held up very well no noticeable decay can be found even the part of the stump thats out of the water with a plant growing on it has't fallen apart yet. As i drilled out the top for a good 6" or more and placed rocks in it to help hold down the stump and soil to allow for plant growth.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I too used well aged cedar in my tanks with no ill effects. My only trouble with it was my Farlowella. Seems the fish nibbled away at one piece until it wore in half. The other piece is just fine.

Q

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
i used lexan to create a waterproof shelf nothing fancy but what is in use is the second version. I have learned a few things from both setups but this one works great just could have been easier to do maintenance .

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Wow amazing tank! Just curious, but what happened with the mouse? :)

Aaron Sedgwick

Registered Member
Feb 17, 2018
Amazing work - I registered on the forums after finding your aquarium in a picture search on google.

This is a necro I know, but how did you build out the top area for the finches? I can make out a screen that you must have installed, but I'm wondering how big that area is above the water after being enclosed along with what materials you would need for a project like that.

I'm a freshwater planted tank aquarist and botanist. Your setup is a true inspiration. I'm imagining keeping other animals like reptiles or certain types of insects in the land portion of a setup like this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store