Adding new Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I am considering adding a couple more fish, an Angel fish and a Dwarf Groumie to my 125 gallon. My fish are very comfortable as it is right now and adding 2 more may be too much. Asking for opinions as to adding 2 more would be wise or not.

It's currently stocked with:
2 angel fish
2 dwarf groumies
8 neon tetras
4 silver tips
8 rummy nose
3 black neons
2 glo fish (black skirt type)
2 platies
5 mollies
7 cory catfish
1 common pleco (12 inches long)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
OK...just my opinion...(Give them for free).

The pleco is a lot of bio-load. Time for it to move on.

With a steady maintenance routine and adequate over filtration, I don't see an issue for the tank size and mass of fish involved.

You may experience issues with adding the new angels and G's. After a healthy QT of the new fish, I'd add after a massive decor rearrangement to shake up any territory establishment.

In fact I'd triple the rummy nose, and the black neons, while bringing the cories up to 14.

Last edited:
Reactions: Claire Vaughan

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Thank you Mr. Normal. You think I could handle tripling the rummy nose and adding more cory cats? I love those fish and would love to do that.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I'm with Bob, skip the extra angels & gouramis, there's nothing but trouble trying that.

You have several "understocked" schoolers...I'd add more of some (rummies, black neons) & rehome some others ("skirt glow fish" & silver tips).

Your pleco is probably charming but craps a lot...If he continues to grow (what species is it? some get HUGE! 18-24+ inches)...well, I'd rather have a BN or 2 & a ton more cories.

Mollies & platys...well, I'm over liver bearers...but if they're all 1 sex (unlikely)... they might be ok. IF the angels eat most all the fry, maybe ok... Otherwise have a plan for survivors.

Your tank is large but that's not to say it can't be overpopulated or "under schooled". Think long term & only keep fish you really truly love.

I'd love to see pics of your tank

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Yeah, I'm with Bob, skip the extra angels & gouramis, there's nothing but trouble trying that.

You have several "understocked" schoolers...I'd add more of some (rummies, black neons) & rehome some others ("skirt glow fish" & silver tips).

Your pleco is probably charming but craps a lot...If he continues to grow (what species is it? some get HUGE! 18-24+ inches)...well, I'd rather have a BN or 2 & a ton more cories.

Mollies & platys...well, I'm over liver bearers...but if they're all 1 sex (unlikely)... they might be ok. IF the angels eat most all the fry, maybe ok... Otherwise have a plan for survivors.

Your tank is large but that's not to say it can't be overpopulated or "under schooled". Think long term & only keep fish you really truly love.

I'd love to see pics of your tank

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
My Pleco, Rufus, is about 15 yrs old now. I got him when he was very little and I had a 40 gallon tank. He is 13 inches long now. He is so, as you say, charming. I'm kinda attached to him. He is beautiful. I too am over the live bearers. I have re-homed all the males and only have a few female mollies and platies. I would love mores Rummy Noses and Black Neons. I did have 5 Blk. Neons, but 2 died during transfer from the store Rummy Nose are not seen often in my area. I has 5 Silver Tips and lost one. I'm not replacing them. They seem to be peaceful and not nipping any fins. I agree about re-homing the glo fish. Beautiful, but??

Thank you for the advise. I'm really lucky my 2 Angels and 2 Groumies get along so well.
I will post some pictures of my aquarium. I'm very proud of it.

Last edited:

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Full Tank.jpg Agnus and Zues.jpg Aquarium.jpg Panoramic Vew.jpg Rufus II.jpg Zeus IV.jpg Full Tank.jpg Full Tank.jpg Agnus and Zues.jpg Agnus and Zues.jpg Aquarium.jpg Panoramic Vew.jpg Rufus II.jpg Zeus IV.jpg
My Pleco, Rufus, is about 15 yrs old now. I got him when he was very little and I had a 40 gallon tank. He is 13 inches long now. He is so, as you say, charming. I'm kinda attached to him. He is beautiful. I too am over the live bearers. I have re-homed all the males and only have a few female mollies and platies. I would love mores Rummy Noses and Black Neons. I did have 5 Blk. Neons, but 2 died during transfer from the store Rummy Nose are not seen often in my area. I has 5 Silver Tips and lost one. I'm not replacing them. They seem to be peaceful and not nipping any fins. I agree about re-homing the glo fish. Beautiful, but??

Thank you for the advise. I'm really lucky my 2 Angels and 2 Groumies get along so well.
I will post some pictures of my aquarium. I'm very proud of it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
We'd love to see pics! I said that before, lol. Put them up!

Maybe we can help ID Rufus & help you plan for "his" future, maybe he's not 1 of those "mega-plecos", not all are...we had a "common" that learned to "wink for a tabimin", "he" was wonderful! & when we moved we had to rehome him & almost all our fish, a truly heartbreaking experience many years ago.

It's great your angels & gouramis get along for now...but adding more is more than iffy, take it from many of us who have tried, it won't end well...

I, too, thought silver tips were pretty peaceful but mine were not. I think I had 6 or 8 in a 4ft tank. Think about a lot more or rehoming...neons (regular, not black) really prefer slightly cooler temps as do many corys. Are all your corys the same species? If not add more of each species if they're temp. compatible with your other (preferred) fish.

It's a balancing act in any tank, we try to help you choose, or at least see the problems in your fish choices in our experiences... for the long term. You have an awesome size tank! There's so many options for you, think hard!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry, I'm a slow typer & dinner eater, lol. Your Rufus appears to be a gibbiceps (sailfin pleco), they get to 18 inches-ish. He looks a bit skinny along his upper spine area... how much, how often & what kind of food do you feed him? I'm guessing he'd like 2 "aspirin sized" tablets or wafers twice a day. Maybe you can teach him to "wink" for food, it was surprisingly easy & fun for us & him. He might appreciate a big piece of real wood to graze on too.

I don't see your corys in your pics...but they eat tablets or wafers too...allow for that.

Your angels are of very different sizes...but seem to get along...for now. Do not try to add more similar sized 1s unless you have a back-up plan for when it doesn't work...or they want to breed...& if M & F, they will...

I'm going to suggest you get a java fern or 2, live plants are wonderful & will help soften your tank's look. All fish will love them & the goodies they grow.

I can see your disappointment with fish "under-population"...If you want to consider a new large but schooling species, look at roseline sharks (dennisonii barbs), spectacular! & peaceful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store