Adding Salt and Aqua Safe with water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Davey

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
Adding Salt And Aqua Safe With Water Changes ?

Iam goign to put soem salt in the new water thats going into the aquarium do i need to put aqua safe also ?

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
you need dechlorinator generally, but you don't need salt. this is entirely dependant on conditions and fish tho.... some water doesn't need dechlorinator, other water has chloramines and needs a stronger type.... only you can be the judge of what is needed, but for the cost of stress-coat (what i use), i would prefer to be safe. as far as the salt, that is entirely dependant on the fish. i usually use very little but i am somewhat of a fan of variable salinity so occasionally i will dump some in. as far as i know, for most regular fish only a tiny amount is neccesary to keep the fish healthy. in my guppy tank as with most live bearers i prefer to use it pretty regularly as they are from areas that generally have more present.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Just remember: SCALELESS fish does NOT tolerate SALT! Not at all. Not even a BIT! No salt!!! EVER!!! This includes catfish, elephant noses, BGK, Loaches, many others,.....

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
scaleless fish do not tolerate *high* salt, i have used salt succesfully with my BGK, my pims and my shovelnose and asian cat......

just a clarification

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Thats not correct. Scaleless fish cannot tolerate ANY salt. Even small amounts will irritate them. Next your going to say the normal Ich medication is fine for them too.....

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
salt is an essential element and no fish can survive without it....... :)

besides, i hardly see anyone keeping these fish go through the hassle of using RO or distilled water to make sure there is no salt in their water...

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article5.html

http://boeing_dude.tripod.com/id62.htm - says no salt for scaleless

Here is a good explanation I got from the usenet:

Clown Loaches are considered a "scaleless" fish which means they
have more of a skin rather than a layer of scales. hard scales protect a fish,
not only from physical hard, but also as a way of keeping chemical products
from disfusing into their body. Clown Loaches do not have this, so they are
particularly sensative to additived to the water that might be irritating
such as medications or salts as it can be absorbed into their bodies much
easier and faster than fish with a protective scaled body.

It is kind of like how we have skin and our skin protects us from stuff. So
you go swimming in the ocean and it normally does not bother you. But notice
if you get a lot of salt water in sensative membrane areas such as your eyes
or in your mouth. They can be irritated or the way your mouth kind of puckers
up when you get to much slat water in it. Now imagine how irritating it
would be to swim in the ocean if your skin was replaced by these less
resistant tissues. That is the problem clown loaches and other "scaleless"
fish have.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
those articles you link to say "dont add salt". Your tap water contains plenty of it already.

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
Thats not correct. Scaleless fish cannot tolerate ANY salt. Even small amounts will irritate them.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Im Talking about adding additional salt....I never tested the salt in my tap..if there is any its REALLY low...

Last edited:

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
jameson quit trolling..... believe what you want, i KNOW i have done this with no ill effects. you are talking about clown loaches in your last post and they are notorious for being sensative to EVERYTHING.

i also know i have treated ich in my cat tank with salt AND aquarisol, which is also copper salts.......

i did NOT recommend anything full-strength and you can search my posts and you will see i almost never do. i always start with a low dose and build it up while watching for possible ill effects. i am very sparing with everything as i have seen treatments do more damage than the problems many times in the past.

i think you need to do a little more research before you warm up the brazier. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store