Adding Salt and Aqua Safe with water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
did you read ALL THE ARTICLES? Elephant nose are sensitive to salt as well........READ ALL THE ARTICLES!!! The end said "with all scaleless fish" in that one article you read

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
elephant noses used to be used to test water quality... go research it, you will see. another EXTREMELY sensative fish, period.

edit: btw, neither of those articles explains the vigor you are using on this topic, the second article even says you can't use table salt and that makes the rest of it suspect.... i like rtr's article better and will find the link for it later if i have time. it's on tomsaquarium site i think under articles...... i don't understand the reaction here and i don't have the time to dig up the references for the stuff that i have read. want me to send you my bookmarks? maybe you can find the specific link in the several hundred that i have.

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Its just that I do have an Elephant nose in my tank and always been told NEVER used salt with that guy because he is scaleless. So I dont. Yes, I know that in the past elephant noses were used to test water quality. The people would listen to the electrical pulses. Faster the pulses, the lower the water quality was. Also, they are the most intelligent fish out there in the aquarium hobby.

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
JBW - you really should try for a bit deeper understanding before you launch these mad crusades. Are you unaware that there are SW and BW scaleless fish, including cats? You are going to create an image of the boy who cried wolf too often and is completely ignored, right or wrong. Data without understanding is dangerous.

There are very few absolutes in the world, especially in the aquarium world. Added sodium chloride is not always a good idea, routine addition of such can be detrimental (especially without knowing the details of the existing water), but specific and short-term use is not going to cause fish such as loaches to shrivel up and die.

There is an old quote about " a little learning is a dangerous thing, drink deep or taste not the ... spring".

ewok - The salt article is

http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/salt.shtml

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
no, not everyone "knew" this..

i do know they have large brains in comparison to their body weight, but that doesnt neccisarily mean their smarter.

Brain size could also be related to the amount of senses they use, and being able to process all the information quickly.

if brain size vs. body weight was the only thing important, elephant noses would be smarter than humans.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Hey Davey....aren't you glad you asked.....see what you started.....all the folks are arguing......and it's almost Christmas!!!!
Len:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store