Advice for a teeny tiny aquarium (5gal)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Here's my simple cycling post :) :

Fish pee and poo and don't eat all of their food. Naturally, all of this stuff decays in the aquarium. One of the things that this stuff decays into is the toxic compound ammonia. Ammonia burns a fish's gills and body. There are bacteria which eat ammonia, but they need some time to build up before they can eat all the ammonia in the aquarium. The bacteria turn the ammonia into a compound called nitrite, which interfers with a fish's ability to breathe, among other things. However, there are bacteria which eat nitrite and turn it into nitrate, which also need time to build up. Nitrate is much less toxic and can be removed with water changes. Ammonia turning into nitrite turning into nitrate is called the nitrogen cycle-hence the term "cycling"(in the process of bacteria building up) or "cycled". When at any point you can test your aquarium and the ammonia and nitrite read 0, the tank is cycled. Nitrate should be kept under 20 ppm. You know that a tank is cycled/is cycling by testing it with a test kit such as the API master test kit. Warning-you need to have ammonia in the tank before a tank starts cycling by definition! A newly set up tank will most likely test perfect because nothing has started the cycle yet!
I think this is my all time favorite explanation on cycling!!!

madisonskyjaepi: Angles are not suitable for a 5 gallon. Because they have long fins they need a taller tank. A tall 30gallon would be the minimum I would recommend for them. Honey Gouramis or a dwarf gourami would be good. Shrimp are interesting too. There are all different kinds; ghost, amano, cherry, bumblebee, bamboo. Snails are fun too.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I would go with bumblebee gobies, some shrimp, and some nano fish like the microrasboras. All will fit beautifully and comfortably in a 5 gallon, and will still provide an interesting and colorful display for your kids. They can be hard to find locally depending on where you are, but are relatively easy to get online. Good luck with your new venture!

madisonskyjaepi

AC Members
Jul 21, 2008
Okay - wait - so, cycling happens AFTER the fish are put in, right, because it's the breaking down of the waste matter?

So, if you were to give a basic step by step, what would the timeline be like?

(ie. 1. fill tank with water... all the way to testing the levels)

madisonskyjaepi

AC Members
Jul 21, 2008
madisonskyjaepi: Angles are not suitable for a 5 gallon. Because they have long fins they need a taller tank. A tall 30gallon would be the minimum I would recommend for them.

So, is it just for the height? Because this tank is a flat back - so it's taller and narrower (versus a short, stubby thing).

madisonskyjaepi

AC Members
Jul 21, 2008
I would go with bumblebee gobies, some shrimp, and some nano fish like the microrasboras. All will fit beautifully and comfortably in a 5 gallon, and will still provide an interesting and colorful display for your kids. They can be hard to find locally depending on where you are, but are relatively easy to get online. Good luck with your new venture!
Thank you for the names. Off to google those.

For those of you who buy fish on the internet - how do you not end up with fish soup upon arrival? It's 100 degrees here NOT in the back of a delivery truck. :devil: Seems a bad combination for fishies!

madisonskyjaepi

AC Members
Jul 21, 2008
I would go with bumblebee gobies
Oh those are ADORABLE!

Okay - another question for you wise fishy friends:

Any tips on setting it up? (Meaning, establishing a new environment). What type of water is best? What type of gravel? Other little embellishments and inserts? Going for *color* and visual interest as well as what's best for our new little swimmy friends.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Using tap water is fine. Just make sure you treat the water with a dechlorinator such as prime to get rid of the chlorine and chloramine. You can use any type of gravel. The fish stores have lots of different and very colorful kinds. I prefer the natural looking stuff but your son might like something like the neon blue gravel. The fish don't care. They do like plants(plastic are fine) or other tank decorations for them to hide in and swim around. There are lots of option but with a 5 gallon you want to make sure they still have room to swim around once the decorations are in place. You will want to keep the tank temp. around 78 so invest in a thermometer and make sure it doesn't get too far above or below that. If it drops much below 78 then you will need a small heater. Because the tank isn't that big the temp. can fluctuate if placed near a window or outside door. Try not to put it near those.

Bumblebee gobies are very cute but be careful when purchasing them. Some require brackish water, which is a mixture of salt water and freshwater.

madisonskyjaepi

AC Members
Jul 21, 2008
eep - good to know!

I'm going to see what I can find locally, and have PM'd someone here about shrimp and snails.

Any fish that don't do well (mentioned already on this thread) with shrimp?

And, am I right that I can't do more than one color of shrimp? I'd really love to do a few colors, but I think she said that was not a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store