Advice for a teeny tiny aquarium (5gal)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
you can do mixed shrimp, you just have teh appropriate kinds to mix. For instance, you can have cherry shrimp with amano and a caridina species (like malaya, crystal red, etc). My biggest concern for a tank you size is that the shrimp (neocaridina anyway) will reproduce so readily they will quickly overpopulate the tank. If you got something like amano, they dn't reproduce in fw and are a little larger than neocaridina and would do well in a tank that size.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
If you reread the cycling post you will see that there is a way of fishless cycling. Fish cycling is generally considered cruel, except in a silent cycle, which involves live plants, which I;'m betting you don't want to deal with yet.

Edit: thanks bunny!

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC

madisonskyjaepi

AC Members
Jul 21, 2008
If you reread the cycling post you will see that there is a way of fishless cycling. Fish cycling is generally considered cruel, except in a silent cycle, which involves live plants, which I;'m betting you don't want to deal with yet.

Edit: thanks bunny!
Definitely! :) Thanks!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Have you thought about what kind of filter to use? Some bettas tear up shrimp like a pinata, so no shrimp with bettas.

BigAds

Big Fish in a Small Pond
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
I regularly check a few different websites for equipment...
bigals
drsfostersmith
thatpetplace
kensfish
petmountain
petsolutions
aquariumguys

It doesn't hurt to shop around... especially considering that BigAls and PetMountain both will price match/beat some competitors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store