Algae removal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishandreptilelove

AC Members
Jul 28, 2019
Hello,
I have a freshly cycled tank, it’s a 50 gal and planned for livebearers. It’s planted but is having a pretty rough algae problem with both diatomic algae and green thread algae. Since the tank is freshly cycled and I want plenty of room for the livebearers I’m looking for either a single fish that will eat both algae types and be ok with the livebearers(guppies included) or multiple low bioload fish/invertebrates.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Depending on what kind of livebearers you were after, mollies will sometimes eat green hair algae. If you were not planning on mollies, this may not be a good idea because some livebearers will cross-breed with them. Otocinclus are a relatively easy to find option for the diatoms, but once they are gone you will have to supplement their diet. Otos are great community fish and will do fine with livebearers.

The better option for controlling algae is fixing the problem. If the tank is new, it may just be a temporary nutrient imbalance that will settle out once everything is a little more established. If you can test for N/P/K levels we can help identify what is out of whack. In the meantime, keep up with water changes and manual removal and let the plants get off and running and eventually they should be able to outcompete the algae.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's normal for new tanks to have algae. Diatoms and green hair algae aren't a bad sign at all. Does it have live plants, if so which and how many lumens does the lighting produce?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How long are your lights on? Cut back to 6 hours/day max. Diatoms (brown alga) is often present in new tanks for 2 or 3 months, it goes away. Hair alga is pretty easy to remove using a toothbrush, chopstick etc...but it will come back if you don't change lighting, ferts, food, or at least something. It's not often a problem in established, balanced tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store