Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
But then you'll have more fish eating the food :cool:. It's really just a matter of learning how much is enough but not too much...just like with water changes, lighting etc., everything in balance. You'll find out what works best for your particular tank & fish. & know to do what keeps it that way, there's a learning curve :) but you can do it!

Reactions: Jazmin0303

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Is it a new tank? Looks like Diatoms, very normal in a new tank.
Also--Cut down on the lights.

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate all the advice. I never thought that taking care of a tank would be this challenging even after having read up on it before setting it up :) I’m really glad everyone here is so helpful and kind!

The Frugal Aquarist

AC Members
Mar 7, 2018
The tank has been up since January and this just barely popped up. I am using tap water for water changes, but this never happened in the previous months, I used to have a little bowl for my previous betta and that Never happened in his bowl either
Diatoms are the puberty of tank maturity. They'll go away on their own in 4-8 weeks as they deplete their food and are displaced by slower-populating microbes. The appearance and disappearance of diatoms are milestones for a tank.

You can wipe them off if you can't stand them, and if they corner more than a third of a leaf you should, but otherwise it's just to be ignored.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I agree with FF, 8 hours of light max. You can also split the time lights are on, so when you're around they're on. Maybe a couple hours in am, then most in the evening.

It's also good to have the lights turn off 30-60 minutes before the room lights go off. It gives the fish a chance to ramp down before being in pitch dark. An inexpensive timer can be an easy way to achieve that without having to plan too much. I use them on all tanks, they cost $5 or 6. It saves on power bills too, although I have solar electric panels :D
This is what I did when I had a low light tank. Anubias needs very little light, so limiting light is your best way to reduce algae. Just turn the lights on when you are around to view the fish.
My 20 gallon has a couple Anubias but no other plants. I run the lights just 4 hours a day and have zero algae and the Anubias are doing ok.

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks so much you two! I noticed that after keeping track of a good lighting time has made them go away a little, almost completely on the anubias leaves and somewhat on the rock. I plan on wiping it off tomorrow when I do a water change because it sort of freaks me out to see it on there

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You know, your snails & maybe your betta will eat some of the diatoms. & they're starting to go away too. I know it "unsightly" but it's also part of building a complete biologic environment, so don't be too worried about it. Wiping it off is fine before a WC, but it just needs to run it's course.

I run my lights 6-maybe 8 hours & I can grow lots of plants beyond just anubias! Some are quite junglish happy. That may not be the look you want ;) but I like it!

Your really white caves will not stay that way, they'll get a "patina" of brownish green. You "can" take them out & bleach every few weeks (& dechlorinate heavily!!!) but I would suggest you embrace the look, stark white is not often a sustainable fish tank color. I like their shape too but be aware "crap" may get trapped inside & need vacuuming out on a regular basis.

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
You know, your snails & maybe your betta will eat some of the diatoms. & they're starting to go away too. I know it "unsightly" but it's also part of building a complete biologic environment, so don't be too worried about it. Wiping it off is fine before a WC, but it just needs to run it's course.

I run my lights 6-maybe 8 hours & I can grow lots of plants beyond just anubias! Some are quite junglish happy. That may not be the look you want ;) but I like it!

Your really white caves will not stay that way, they'll get a "patina" of brownish green. You "can" take them out & bleach every few weeks (& dechlorinate heavily!!!) but I would suggest you embrace the look, stark white is not often a sustainable fish tank color. I like their shape too but be aware "crap" may get trapped inside & need vacuuming out on a regular basis.
Alright, so If I just leave it be it’ll go away?

And also, they’re actually grey but the lights make them look white XD. I still really doubt they’ll stay that light of a grey though.

(I don’t know how to make smileys on here so I hope those “XD” faces aren’t annoying to anyone here *insert awkward emoji here*)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I got it, not annoying at all! But there is a smiley tab at the top of the reply box for a few basic 1s...about all I understand, lol. FB has way more than I have yet to get (I'm old & not techy or emoji-rific).

I just wanted to warn you about possible issues with your caves. I'm glad you're cool with what may likely happen :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store