Aluminum in tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ryan2

AC Members
Apr 19, 2010
Botswana
I made an aluminum hood for my small tank, condensation has made the underside black, I have read that aluminum can have a bad effect on fish; however the tank has been running for a long time with no ill effects. Has anyone had bad experiences with aluminum?

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
You could also try cleaning it up again, then putting several coats of polyurethane clear coat on it to keep it from oxidizing(like every polished aluminum automotive wheel). Not sure if it would cause any issues if it hasn't already.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Black??? I think it is just dirt. Aluminum does oxidize, but should not turn black. Take if off and clean it.

trigiver01

Follow HIM and be fishers of men!
Dec 16, 2008
Alachua County, FL
Aluminum oxide (i.e. the oxidized form of aluminum) is white. But you can't really see it, so it's probably got algae or dirt on it, and that's why it's turning black.

And the only thing I can think of that would make it bad for fish is its acidity. When it dissolves in water in high enough concentration it can make it pretty acidic. So if you're REALLY worried about it, check your pH. :)

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
The black is dirt, but aluminum oxidizes in a form that is easily transferred to water, whereas clear coating encapsulates the aluminum entirely in polymer, sealing it from the water/air and the water/air from it.

frothhelmet

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
From what I understand aluminum is safe and stainless steel is iffy.

For instance, if you use a stainless steel mesh to grow your moss all the moss will die, but the moss do fine with aluminum.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I guess it would be fine, considering how many beerz are transported in cans :D

koipoloi

Something fishy here.
Sep 17, 2009
Missouri
Real Name
Alex
One type of phosphate remover, phosguard which is for use in aquarium filters is just aluminum oxide so aluminum should be quite safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store