am I just crazy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
That does seem odd !

Susan0218

AC Members
Jun 8, 2005
It is a beautiful angel. Looks very healthy. Yes, they can darken stripes when the mood strikes them. I would guess the vertical stripe at it's eye and the one in the middle of it's body would darken if stressed.
Thank you. I went ahead and checked the water. pH 6.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 40 -yikes-, temp is around 78*F. I don't have test kits for KH or GH. :eek: Looks like I need to step up on my water changes. :eek::eek:

lilcavy2

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Tampa, FL
No, you're not crazy. The first time I ever saw my fish change colors, I thought something terrible had happened to them! I learned that fish have chromatophores or melanophores(?), let's go with 'pigment containing cells', that they can adjust when stressed (or not stressed). If I happen to walk into my dark living room at 2AM and turn on the lights, usually all of my fish will be colorless. Within 15 minutes, they get their color mostly back. My normally vibrantly blue and red betta fish goes all brown if he's very stressed. Since your (amazingly beautiful) angelfish has just been moved into a whole new home, naturally he's going to be a little stressed especially if someone he has not yet learned to associate with food approaches the tank. I wouldn't worry about it.

abaddon669

AC Members
Nov 20, 2009
That is one of the most unique angels I've ever seen. .

.... and it looks to be only 1/3 evil.:Angel: lol

eveuh

AC Members
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan, USA
Beautiful angelfish!!

My fish normally fade in color when they are stressed and become bolder when they are happy (like at feeding time). You're not crazy, it's normal! Because most fish don't make sound, they do a lot of communicating through body language and changing their coloration helps them communicate with other fish.

I know many animals will use displays of vitality to help deter predators: gazelles will hop around to show lions how healthy they are, for example. Your angelfish may be doing something similar when you startle him, "Don't eat me, look at how healthy and hard to catch I am!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store