ammonia seems to be decreasing, but no nitrites yet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
Hi, i am about the 4th day into my cycling and i've been adding about 100 drops of ammonia in every day to a 45g tank, w/ filter running. Last night i got the tank up to about 5ppm ammonia, but when i tested this morning it went back down to around 3-4ppm, but no nitrites present yet.

Should i continue to add 100 drops of ammonia each day to maintain 5ppm? Is it possible that the filter is breaking down the ammonia?

The tank temperature is around 83 degrees.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
I found that when cycling both my tanks the nitrifying bacteria grew faster than the ammonia eating bacteria. If u already have a reading for nitrates then the nitrites are already being consumed. You just have to wait for the ammonia eating bacteria to catch up.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Yes it is a good thing, it means the bacteria that consumes nitrites is there and doing it's job. You might want to take it easy on the ammonia and give the ammonia consuming bacteria a chance to catch up. I would wait til it falls to 1ppm and then add a little more. Are you using a test tube kit or strips to test your water? If you are using an API kit and you have an orange reading for your nitrates you are in business.......the strips however, are usually inaccurate.

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
Yep, i'm using the API kit. looks like im in business then :) after letting the nitrate test tube sit for a while the color got a little deeper, i would say its actually around 15-20ppm.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
I beleive you should wait until the ammonia goes from 3 PPM to 0 in 12 hours or less. That means there is enough bacteria present to consume any your new fish produce.

As said, a large water change before adding fish and you are through. You will want to continue to monitor it for a couple weeks just to be sure.

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
I beleive you should wait until the ammonia goes from 3 PPM to 0 in 12 hours or less. That means there is enough bacteria present to consume any your new fish produce.

As said, a large water change before adding fish and you are through. You will want to continue to monitor it for a couple weeks just to be sure.
I think i'm pretty close at this point then, if thats all i need to do. I guess also at this point i shouldn't be expecting a nitrIte spike either, since nitrAtes are present, right?

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Yep, i'm using the API kit. looks like im in business then :) after letting the nitrate test tube sit for a while the color got a little deeper, i would say its actually around 15-20ppm.
A quick FYI: Letting the tube sit longer than the specified 5 minutes will give you a false reading, as the color will continue to change. For accuracy, it's important to read the results at the specified 5 minutes mark, not sooner and not later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store