ammonia seems to be decreasing, but no nitrites yet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
Yes, it may help.
It's been what, 2 weeks now?
The cycle is progressing as it should - will still likely take 3-4 weeks.
Your pH is real good @ 7.6-7.8, to help speed things up.
Many cycles take close to 6 weeks.
Patience, my friend.
my nitrites went back down to 0,
and my ammonia is between .5 and 1 now. It seems to never drop back down completely to 0.

Should I raise the ammonia back up to 5 PPM at this point? i also now have an anubia plant and a java fern in the tank.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Yup, keep dosing ammonia until you are completely cycled and ready to add fish.
If you stop adding ammonia, that bacterial colony will begin to die off. Usually, it takes into the 3rd week, or later, for nitrites to spike up to a high level. After that happens, it will begin to decline, and when your ammonia & nitrites reduce to zero or near zero in a 12 hour period after adding the last bit of ammonia, you'll know you have it made. At that point, your nitrates should be quite high - but a large wc will fix that - and then you'll know your cycle has completed.
Keep the faith - see what has developed in another 5 to 7 days.
Go ahead and add as many plants as you want at this point - can't hurt the cycle & will likely help !

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
Yup, keep dosing ammonia until you are completely cycled and ready to add fish.
If you stop adding ammonia, that bacterial colony will begin to die off. Usually, it takes into the 3rd week, or later, for nitrites to spike up to a high level. After that happens, it will begin to decline, and when your ammonia & nitrites reduce to zero or near zero in a 12 hour period after adding the last bit of ammonia, you'll know you have it made. At that point, your nitrates should be quite high - but a large wc will fix that - and then you'll know your cycle has completed.
Keep the faith - see what has developed in another 5 to 7 days.
Go ahead and add as many plants as you want at this point - can't hurt the cycle & will likely help !
ALRIGHT!

i'm in business. Nitrites spiked up to 5+PPM yesterday 3/24, Ammonia is at 4-5PPM. took around 18 days before any nitrite reading showed up, and 3 days after that for it to spike. It probably helped that i put in media around the 15th day...

Last edited:

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Great - you're not far off now - it appears your cycle should be complete within the next few days/ a week or so. Just a reminder - you'll want to see "0" ammonia & nitrites with 12 hours of your last ammonia addition, and under 20 ppm of nitrates following a large wc at that point.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Knock your ammonia additions back to 2ppm; the nitrite --> nitrate bacteria aren't too fond of high ammonia levels, apparently.

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
29 days later.... my tank is fully cycled!!!!!! nitrites dropped down to zero yesterday from an off the chart reading, and ammonia is going from 2ppm to zero within 12 hours. going to do a water change tomorrow and start with some fishies!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store