And so........ It begins.........

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
Quick update.........

Walls are framed in / insulated (double in outside wall & ceiling) / 4 mil vapor barrier installed on both sides of insulation / walls & ceiling are sheathed with 7/16 OSB and awaiting many coats of paint.......

700 cfm exhaust fan installed / ductwork hidden in ceiling / This fan really impresses me....... moves a TON of air and is almost dead silent !!! Maybe 10+ inches of insulation is helping to silence it !!!

Wiring is run in walls and awaiting installation of outlets. I ran 3 seperate circuits for heaters alone ! (in case of the need for individual tank heaters). The lighting circuit timer will control all the tank lights in the room.

Hot / cold water supply lines are in place for the laundry type tub/sink, and I ran an RO supply via a "T" from my saltwater top-off system.

Sorry, no pics as my dang puter has stopped recognizing my slot for the flash card, but I'll try and post some soon......

Too many trips to the hardware store, and about 2 times what I figured I'd spend, but will be well worth it in the end.

As far as heating goes, I've found that a 1500W space heater (oil filled radiator style) will raise the room temp from 58 degrees (yeah, my basement is chilly) to 78 degrees overnight. I'm thinking that I will probably get by nicely running 2 of these heaters (they have thermostats) once I get tanks up and running.

Next project is putting together my drip system, and running pipe loops for the drip system and the air system. I picked up a new Gast blower off of Craigslist for $200, and wired it in to the 220v line at the panel. I figure running it on 220v will save me a few $ on the electric bill.........

Pics to come shortly I hope !!!!!!

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I was gonna ask about the power supplies, this is gonna eat some serious power :D

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Yes, seriously impressive.....makes my marine build look like kindergarten Duplo time! :)

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
UPDATE 01/02/10

Paint stinks......... Especially UGL Oil Base waterproofing paint........

But it's something that needed to be done........ I wanted to stop the migration of moisture from outside to in, and I needed to seal the walls so the wouldn't attract and hold any fishy fishroom smells.

Eventually, I will be doing the entire basement, but for right now, I'm concentrating on the area where I will be building my fishroom.

:headbang2::headbang2:Very Very Cool!!! :headbang2::headbang2:

Considering the "stink" wouldn't you want to paint all... ahead of setting up any tanks that could be contaminated by the vapors?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store