angel died

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
I had my angelfish die today for an unknown reason water tests out about 20ppm nitrate 0 nitrite 75 hardness 180 alkalinity and 7.6 pH temp 78 ive only had him a year but i did notice my neons are not doing well either in the same tank. black mollies in the same tank were fine. the angel was fine last night and dead today.any ideas as to cause of death?

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
Sometimes there really is no determination that we can make on our own. Could have been a lot of things. Internal parasites, nautral causes, contaminted water.... its hard to say. Ive had one fish die on me for no reason was swiming around fine and healthy and just went belly up before my eyes. I still have no clue what happened to him.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
what size tank is this.
how many and what kind of fish are in it.
how often do you do water changes.
how much do you change each time.
do you vacuum the gravel. how often.

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
maybe treat it with salt.. and some other meds.. we need more info.. and pics would be nice

Rowangel

I like fish with tarter sauce
Jan 20, 2006
Champaign, Illinois
fishisme said:
maybe treat it with salt.. and some other meds.. we need more info.. and pics would be nice
Fish is already passed on...now we are trying to determine what the cause might have been. But ya, more info is needed to do this.

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
liv2padl said:
what size tank is this.
how many and what kind of fish are in it.
how often do you do water changes.
how much do you change each time.
do you vacuum the gravel. how often.

29 gal

6 neon tetras
3 black mollies
1 small (newly added) clown pleco

gravel vacuum when when needed about every month water change bi weekly about 30% this keeps the balance about the same all the time. filtration is a Penguin biowheel 350

Last edited:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
i think nitrates were 20 ppm, nitrite 0, 75 was hardness. He posted it a little funny, numbers first. No offense meant, I was able to read it :)

Sunni Side Up

Always More to Learn...
Aug 10, 2006
N. Providence, RI
Could it be PH?

I know most fish adapt to PH between 6-8, mostly 7 in aquariums. My BF (not Bow Front, even if descrption fits... :D ) and I had tried angels/neons 2-3 times before we got our last few. Those first 2-3 times, all the angels and neons died on us shortly ... :(

After further researching and talking to various fish keepers and fish store staff, they all recommended low PH (5.8 - 6.5).

My BF, Gary, (and no, he doesn't meow, he barks! :p: ) has been keeping his PH at 6.5; I keep mine between 6.8-7 because of other fish in the tank. Our angels and his neons in the same tank w/ his angels have been looking very healthy and happy for the last few months.

Just our experience with angels and enons. Others may have been keeping their angels and neons at 7 or 7+ PH and have no problems with them. Who knows.... Hopefully, you could find out what was wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store