Anxiety/OCD and aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
I'm pretty similar. I suspect I have mild OCD, anxiety, hypochondria, paranoia. My problems subside when I'm pleasantly busy and working out regularly. The only time washing my hands too much is a problem is winter - they get more dried out so I have to use a lot of lotion. Then I have to make sure not to put my hands in the tank with lotion on them. I've been germ-phobic since I learned about them in elementary school : P

If you enjoy the hobby and it doesn't bother you excessively, don't worry too much about it (although getting a professional diagnosis isn't a bad idea - must admit I've never had one). I wash my hands after putting them in tank water (sometimes more than once within a few minutes), and save my daily shower for after tank maintenance (done on weekends). It doesn't really cause any major problems for me, and I still enjoy the hobby. In fact, I find gazing into my tanks very soothing, and sometimes use it as a stress reducer.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
so what are these symptoms of fish tb and people can get this from them?
Dropsy symptoms along with curved spines in some cases and listlessness. People can get granuloma or so some sites claimed.

TheFanatic

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
If you keep allowing your life to be ruled by these emotions you will always have issues. Go find a good psychologist or psychiatrist. Talk about your issues. Work to find the root of the issues and resolve them.

Last edited by a moderator:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Dropsy symptoms along with curved spines in some cases and listlessness. People can get granuloma or so some sites claimed.
Malefic got fish tb after adding some wild-caught plecos to his tank. they died before it could spread to any other fish though. he posted pictures of it on here a while back but i can't find them.

janewalsh11

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
uk
I have a friend who is like you with ocd,always worrying about fish tb and other diseases,he constantly washes his hands. He too thoroughly cleans everywhere fish water may have spilled.
I feel for you guys ,it must be awful to be like this,try to get help before you get really bad,otherwise this will consume your life and so much time will be wasted because of your problem,good luck i really hope you find good help to ease your problem,i'm sure this is easier said than done though.

lymabean

They're after me lucky charms!
Dec 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
like mentioned above, you should speak to a professional about ocd. I feel i have a little bit of ocd, and i stress the word little, since ive been told about the severe cases of it. Worrying about new arrivals isn't ocd, cleaning up water isn't ocd. Doing it too much might be. Sometimes i take showers after a water change but that is due to the fact that i get soaked handling the changes. Washing your hand a lot is the classic sign of ocd. some do it to the point where they bleed. seek help. good luck. it'll be a lifelong battle.

slotzero

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Dayon, OH
I've dealt with the "germaphobe" problem myself for a long time - a lot of my co-workers have poked fun at how often I have to wash my hands, and that I didn't touch doorknobs, faucets, etc with my bare hands.

The excessive handwashing would get very painful in the winter months as others stated - there's a point where you just can't use enough lotion. And of course there's throwing away that lotion because someone else used it... get's expensive.

Anyway when I started learning about keeping fish, aquariums, and water chem in general - it's helped. Immensely. I'm nowhere near as anal as I was, simply from learning more about beneficial bacteria, and bacteria's role in the world in general. They're not all bad. In fact I had started to believe that my over-washing (constant handwashing, 3-4 showers in a day, etc) was actually starting to have a detrimental effect on my health as a whole. Kinda ruins the natural balance of things your body normally does.

Anyway back on topic - I wash hands/arms before and after working in my tanks. I personally believe that since I use tapwater exclusively, and also place no wilds in my tanks, there's very little to worry about. Municipal treatment in 99% of areas in the US is excellent - that water is monitored closely. I would never use bottled water for my tanks myself - that water is only required to be tested monthly... a lot of things can change in a water source in a month IMHO.

So anyway just from being able to enjoy my peaceful tanks at home and at work, and coming to terms with many bacteria as a whole - I have a lot less anxiety and stress in my life.

Sorry for the rambling post - just wanted to share my experience with it all.

BTW I still don't touch public faucets and doorhandles without a towel ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store