Anyone in BC, Canada who has a pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abayomiabys

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Hello everyone! I've been wanting a pond for many years, have done such research and purchased many pond books. We have a huge beautiful yard and I want to build a large pond. Looking for a mentor or someone I can ask questions. I understand the planning is what takes the most time. What intimidates me is the equipments and how to hide it as I want the pond looking at natural as possible. With regards to fish, I know deeper is better and steep sides help keep raccoons out. We do have cedar trees and know they can be a concern but hoping it doesn't stop us from building one. We get a mix of sun and shade in our yard... it's very private. I'm not planning to build it till next spring but would love to find someone in my area to connect with. I want to do is right from the beginning and have the least amount of problems as possible. No plans to overstock. Love koi but know there is much more to building for koi and have lots to think about. Love goldfish as well.... just adore fish!! awe have several fountains in our yard, it's a very tranquil space and a pond would just finish it off! I do own a 90 gallon tropical aquarium so am familiar with some of the set up and fish. Have a co2 and ozone light. It's fully planted.

Thanks so much! Look forward to hearing from anyone interested to give me some advice.

Tracy

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm certainly not local to you but would be happy to help with whatever I can. What plant/hardiness zone are you in? Do you know what kind of setup you are interested in doing, like natural, formal, hybrid, all below ground, partially raised etc? How large are you thinking?

abayomiabys

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
I'm certainly not local to you but would be happy to help with whatever I can. What plant/hardiness zone are you in? Do you know what kind of setup you are interested in doing, like natural, formal, hybrid, all below ground, partially raised etc? How large are you thinking?
Thanks so much, that is very kind of you! .First off I'm new to the app so trying to get used to is.
Last summer I tried to find some local clubs but couldn't. Even went to a main store asking around but not much luck. I was willing to help someone build a pond as I know that's a great way to learn. Anyways.... I was thinking of building something around 8 x 10 or 10x 12. I'm not sure I am amble to answer what type of set up... but do have lots of photos of what I like and am looking for advice on what others think would look good. I even look photos of my yard every hour to see how the sun moves across it. I know too much sun is not good and too little is hard for plants to grow. I don't mind some pond cover but I really want to see my fish swimming all around. I could sit and watch the, for hours.

One of the concerns that is holding me back is the higher water table. I would rather the pond be level with the yard but I think I would regret this with possible run off. I understand there may also be issues with the pressure from the higher water table and the liner dottom buckling/bubbling?? Some say it would, others said it won't. So with the higher water table, it may have to be somewhat above ground. I am am happy to send/post photos if you like.. will have to look into the plant zone.

I do have an 8 foot deep 3 feet round sump that is beside where I was planning to build it. Then I could drain some of the water there if I needed to. My biggest concern is hiding the equipment. If I went koi... would need so much more, if not, then it would be somewhat easier I think. I thought about trying to make it 3 feet deep if I can. Not sure how much more I can go. But don't want raccoons going for a swim and want the fish to get lower were its cooler. Not sure if that is deep enough in the winter, but think it's okay.

I have heard so many mixed reviews about rocks or gravel on the bottom, saying it's harder to clean. Even through I love the look... I've been told it would probably be best just to leave the liner.

There is just so much to think about and looking for advice and suggestions.

It looks like I may have figured out how to upload photos. The photo below is something that I really like. I will try and post a few more.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

IMG_2816.PNG

abayomiabys

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
IMG_2834.PNG This is another pond I like (above) and below are a few of my backyard. The round block area with the planter is where my sump,is, it also has power. As you can see, it's hard to hind the equipment. The back of our property is somewhat elevated, not a lot but a few feet. Would love to have a stream with a bridge, but I think this is over my head. But certainly would look so pretty. The pond I was thinking would go pretty much in front of the sump and I would redo all the block around it to blend in with the landscape of the pond. IMG_2656.JPG IMG_2659.JPG
I do have other photos where I drew the pond area on the photo. Just looking for any advice. I've wanted a pond for so many years and would really love to make my dream come true. Wanting to learn and plan as much as possible before starting next spring. Any advice from anyone would be so much appreciated. I'm very handy, in fact, I built the two houses you see in the back myself. Just need as much advice as I can get.

abayomiabys

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Just different angles. I'm not a fan of the circular sump area with the planter so was going to plan to incorporate it in with my disgust somehow. IMG_2836.jpg IMG_2837.jpg IMG_2838.jpg

abayomiabys

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
It looks like we are in 8a zone for plants.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I am in a rush right now but I'll try to touch base on a few things quickly.
  • Are you sure you are zone 8a? I couldn't find any part of BC that was quite that high.
  • Yes, the right amount of sun in important. Aim for about 6 hours if you want water lilies and less if you don't (but who doesn't want lilies? lol) I wish I could have gotten less sun on my pond, the stream in particular cause it heats up fast and grows crazy algae. But I worked with what I had and am waiting on some new trees to grow in. :)
  • The high water table is something I've never had to deal with so not much help there.
  • Equipment is very easy to hide. Depending what setup and equipment you go with we can figure that out. What is your budget like? In general, tight or not an issue?
  • If you are anywhere near zone 8a 3ft deep would be ample for goldfish, koi I would go deeper. If you can't go deep you can always go up.
  • Rocks in the bottom is probably the most debated topic I researched. I decided bare bottom was best for me. I am not going to drain the pond every year or 2 or 3 even to power wash the bottom rocks, washing away the good with the bad and sending my pond into a mini cycle or having to buy bottled bacteria to contend with that. I've seen enough black sludge pictures and videos to convince me that it is a real issue and I wasn't interested. Although I do also love the look of rocks in the pond.

I'll get to the other questions later. In the meantime you can check out my pond if you like, for inspiration and to assure you that I DO have a pond of my own that I built myself. Just a picture thread unfortunately. https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/my-pond-load-warning.283658/

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't have much to add... not having ponds etc... (unless you could a few plastic tubs in the garden for the summer)

but, one group of folks I have seen, and are very knowledgable would be

They can likely steer you in the right direction, and hook you up with someone (relatively) local.

abayomiabys

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
I am in a rush right now but I'll try to touch base on a few things quickly.
  • Are you sure you are zone 8a? I couldn't find any part of BC that was quite that high.
  • Yes, the right amount of sun in important. Aim for about 6 hours if you want water lilies and less if you don't (but who doesn't want lilies? lol) I wish I could have gotten less sun on my pond, the stream in particular cause it heats up fast and grows crazy algae. But I worked with what I had and am waiting on some new trees to grow in. :)
  • The high water table is something I've never had to deal with so not much help there.
  • Equipment is very easy to hide. Depending what setup and equipment you go with we can figure that out. What is your budget like? In general, tight or not an issue?
  • If you are anywhere near zone 8a 3ft deep would be ample for goldfish, koi I would go deeper. If you can't go deep you can always go up.
  • Rocks in the bottom is probably the most debated topic I researched. I decided bare bottom was best for me. I am not going to drain the pond every year or 2 or 3 even to power wash the bottom rocks, washing away the good with the bad and sending my pond into a mini cycle or having to buy bottled bacteria to contend with that. I've seen enough black sludge pictures and videos to convince me that it is a real issue and I wasn't interested. Although I do also love the look of rocks in the pond.

I'll get to the other questions later. In the meantime you can check out my pond if you like, for inspiration and to assure you that I DO have a pond of my own that I built myself. Just a picture thread unfortunately. https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/my-pond-load-warning.283658/
OH MY!! GORGEOUS Pond!! WOW, I'm very impressed!
First off, no rush to respond as I have lots of time to figure it out. I do REALLY appreciate all your imput as last year this time I gave up as I just wasn't able to find anyone to help me and I didn't want to run into huge problems and wish I had done something different. As for budget, I do like to do things right so will spend some money... it really depends. Doing most of it myself, I can save there and spend more on equipment and rocks and stuff. I know they can be costly. Not sure if I could build something for around $5,000? Or have to spend more.
Yes, the research I have done and owning a full planted 90 gallon aquarium, I have to agree I am steaming towards the liner bottom as well. Easier to deal with I think in the long run.
Where about do you live? Do you have problems with raccoons and heron? We have lots of great blue heron as well as raccoons so I will have to make sleeper sides as I understand raccoons won't go in if they can't feel a ledge to get back out. With regards to the great blue heron, I will have to create depth as well as hiding areas to protect the fish. I'm not super crazy about the look of a netting but it is an option if they become a huge problem.

My biggest concerns about building this are...
..... the cedar trees (mess and roots as I don't want the roots tearing the pond liner) how do pond liners do with tree roots?
..... the water table, water run off from the yard,
..... hiding the equipment,
..... the raccoons and heron (we actually get black bear too but I don't think they will bother it - they don't come around often).

All are important issues to consider before building. The water table and tree roots are really my biggest concerns. Some people say the water in the pond will keep the liner down, others say the water outside will bubble it inside the pond.

As for the plant zone... here we are in the orange area.. http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-british-columbia-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php

Thanks again for all your help! enjoy your day and respond when you have time... no rush.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store