Anyone in southern Maryland?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
I'm looking for a good LFS down this way but so far the closest actual aquarium store is in Rockville. Anyone from the area know of any others?

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
How close do you live to Northern VA? I know lots on the VA side and just a few over the river (most inside the beltway). Try using Google maps to check it out. And are you talking about aquarium one? http://www.aquarium-one.com/index.html

Never been but looks to be the only aquarium store in Rockville.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
I live in Waldorf, Nothing down here. Roozen Nursey in Clinton sells Saltwater stuff. Pristine Aquarium off Telegraph road in VA Annadale super Petz is about 20 mins further from Pristine. House of Tropical in Glen Burnie is the same distance as Congressional and tropical Fish World. If you are looking for big rare exotics Riverdale Aquarium store on Rhode ISland Ave. Their is another on Bladensburg Road at 34th Street Next to Shoppers and another shop on Old Rhode Island Ave in Riverdale Park. Also Genesis Pets on Central ave. Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring and their is another Shop behind teh Dunkin Doughnuts at Georgia and Reedie Dr at the far end of the strip.

Last edited:

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
I mostly go to Annandale Super Pets and Vienna aquarium and pet, my favorite being super pets. Ive heard a lot about Wally's locally too, but Ive never been. Closest one to me is around 25-40 minutes away depending on time and traffic which is better than most areas that Ive heard about. In MD i'm not sure how long it would take you but it looks like you might have to take the beltway to get down to the stores which can either be a nice ride or a nightmare. I guess I'm lucky to live so close to these.

IMO, online ordering here from thatpetplace/thatfishplace is just like going to the store, the package ALWAYS arrives 2-3 days after I order it (standard shipping) because they are based in PA, so I often just order online from there especially during this past summer because they had a free shipping deal (right now it's free on orders of $100 or more but otherwise its just a small $7 fee). Seems like it might be more convenient for you and might save you money because of gas.

If you don't know the website here it is:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/index.web

Hope this helps!

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Wow I have a lot of driving to do lol. I like driving to new places so I'll probably try to visit most of these places. And congressional is the only one I knew of in Rockville so I'll have to check out aquarium one sometime soon. I do like house of tropicals but they never really have anythign I like enough to buy it seems. I'm looking for GBR's and maybe some other fish I havent found or seen in person yet (will do research before buying.)

I'm over in North Beach like right on the bay but I can hop on 4 and shoot to NoVa pretty easily since I usually have my days off during the week instead of the weekend and I know enough about traffic on the Woodrow to know when and when not to go, plus driving through DC isnt too bad, we'll see how that is now that Transformers is closing down roads, so I'll have to check out some of those and the website for that pet/fish place. Maybe I can talk the girlfriend into going to one of the VA ones if I atke her out to Skyline Drive one day haha

Thanks a lot for the responses. Anyone wanna open one in southern Maryland? Untapped market lol

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
Wallys in Southern Maryland is not for me. Traffic any where in this area is best at mid day during the week. All around suck on weekends.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Wow I have a lot of driving to do lol. I like driving to new places so I'll probably try to visit most of these places. And congressional is the only one I knew of in Rockville so I'll have to check out aquarium one sometime soon. I do like house of tropicals but they never really have anythign I like enough to buy it seems. I'm looking for GBR's and maybe some other fish I havent found or seen in person yet (will do research before buying.)

I'm over in North Beach like right on the bay but I can hop on 4 and shoot to NoVa pretty easily since I usually have my days off during the week instead of the weekend and I know enough about traffic on the Woodrow to know when and when not to go, plus driving through DC isnt too bad, we'll see how that is now that Transformers is closing down roads, so I'll have to check out some of those and the website for that pet/fish place. Maybe I can talk the girlfriend into going to one of the VA ones if I atke her out to Skyline Drive one day haha

Thanks a lot for the responses. Anyone wanna open one in southern Maryland? Untapped market lol
Yeah, a LFS in Southern Maryland is a sure untapped market.:)

Ive never been to Wallys but ive heard a lot of good things about it- as well as some not so good things so I just stick with Annandale super. The only thing I don't like about them is that they said that they only accept donations from local breeders and do not buy. But there are some cool stores to check out around here, happy driving!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
Since I moved from NY to MD last year, I've visited 7 LFS's. I like House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie the best. They have a huge selection of freshwater fish and I have never seen a dead or sick fish. I've bought 29 fish there and all of them are doing great!

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Wow... I went to house of tropicals last night. Maybe it's just me but that place got nicer. Plus they have the triple red apistos I want! Can't wait

FishInMaryland

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
Davidsonville, MD
I'm in Annapolis, and HOT is the closest quality LFS around. You could join the Capital Cichlid Assn, and come to the once a month meetings...there are various auctions and other stuff for sale at the meetings, with GREAT prices. You can also just hook up with somebody who's selling what you want, and have them bring it to the meeting for you. It's not all cichlids. They meet in Glenmont, about 4 miles outside the Beltway off of Georgia Ave. Check it out...http://www.capitalcichlids.org/index.php?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store