Anyone using the Xp3...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
I just set up my 90gal and installed the xp3 last night and all was fine. This am I turned off the filter for a bit and when I restarted it I am getting an occasional spritz of bubbles from the spray bar. I checked all my connections and they are all tight. Any thoughts?
Also, is the spray bar enough to provide surface movement for O2 of a tank this size.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Thats happens for a little while until all of the air is worked out of the filter, perfectly normal. For a tank that size, honestly, I would have two xP3s.

jeffro426

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Mine did the same thing...heres what i did to fix it. Turns out the seal on the lid was dry and needed a little lube, so i took it out and massaged a little vasaline into the o-ring and reinstalled it...no more air bubbles and no more sounds and works perfectly. I too would recomend a second filter, either another XP3 or a powerfilter of some sort. I use an AC 300 and an XP3 on my 55 and it works GREAT!

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
thanks...I'm doin' it cause the funny little noises are starting to bug me in my nice otherwise quiet basement.

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
It is much better now. I also turned the motor around and for some reason it made a difference.
The filter is rated at 175gal. Why are you suggesting a second XP3. I understand a HOB for a little extra mechanical filtration but to double the canister seems a little overkill to me. I have the middle 2 baskets filled with ceramic rings for and will replace the carbon bag with floss later.
Thanks for the input.

emoore

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
San Jose, CA
Visit site
Don't trust the manufactures tank ratings. They tend to overestimate and assume a low bio load. I would also have another filter on a 90 (either another XP3 or HOB). I have an XP3 and a fluval 204 on my 55.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Defintely get another filter. Why, on my 90gal, I have...oh, ONE XP3. Nevermind!

Having another filter=more flow=less gunk settling into the gravel. In general, it makes keeping the tank easier, but as long as you syphon the gravel regularly (or have plants and leave some mulm for them) you shouldn't have a problem. The second filter also gives you a back up in case Murphy brings his law down on you!

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
I am thinking of a few aulonocara, yellow labs and a few of those melanochromis johonnis, a few cynodontis and maybe a bristle nose for clean up. You think an additional aquaclear would be okay or maybe a penguin for some additional bio with the wheel and all. I like the idea of the cannister but the wife doesn't ($$) if you get my drift.
I have heard that the AC's are just fine for the dollars and I am thinking that the XP3 should be able to handle the bio load OK.
Any stocking suggestions would be appreciated.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Yeah, an AquaClear would be great. I like 'em a lot. Personally, I wouldn't go with more than the AC300 (too much flow from the 500 & XP3) but if you are housing cichlids that may be a good thing. Although, if you turn down the flow on the XP3 (which is better for bio-filtering anyway) you could use the AC500 for maximum mechanical filtering (and you can turn down the ACs too).

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store