Anything advice on my aquarium? Not sure i like it that much

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Look for basalt sand/gravel... it is commonly sold in different grain sizes and very cheap.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Since you live in a big city it might be very difficult to find other sources of sand. I know some people have small yards so there must be garden stores, a hardware stores, maybe even a flower shop might have something.

If you really can't find a better choice, I'd go with the Pets at Home black sand. It's not perfect but like I said I've been looking for many years.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh sure, here we do, but like I said none that's my idea of a perfect substrate, lol. My friend is a landscape designer & we've been many places.

The OP lives in London, UK & while you'd think "he'd" have lots of options but I bet they don't really. Many big city folks don't have cars or gardens & certainly can't carry a 50lb bag'o'sand on a bus. At least I couldn't, lol.

Reactions: the loach

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
Hi Guys! Thanks for your ideas. found some sand. i have a problem, i removed the gravel and i had fertiliser underneath and most of it turned my water dirty. i completed replaced the water bar a tiny amount as couldn't get it. put the new water in. and my tank was the still dirty, it settled and i saw the fertiliser on the sand. did another smaller water change to clear some of the dirt up. but i still think will be dirty again on the sand. any advice here?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can try sort of swirling the vacuum just above the sand. You might suck up some sand too but if it's a lot you can rinse it in the bucket & put back. Lots of water changes will help. With the plants you have you don't need much in the way of ferts. Just a root tab or 2 near the vals...They're good at spreading all over, lol.

Tednyx

AC Members
Jun 10, 2020
You can try sort of swirling the vacuum just above the sand. You might suck up some sand too but if it's a lot you can rinse it in the bucket & put back. Lots of water changes will help. With the plants you have you don't need much in the way of ferts. Just a root tab or 2 near the vals...They're good at spreading all over, lol.
yeah thats what ive done, moved it around and gone deep, got alot of it. ill keep doing daily changes and hopefully wont be more than a few days before it clears up ? yeah didn't need that fertiliser but i knew that after tank was settled lol

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I can not see the link you just attached, I have no idea why, anyway I look for it as "Plant growht substrate" of the Tropica brand, and I must tell you that it is one of the best brands in products for plants, and plants too. This type of substrates are magnificent, but if they are removed they usually cloud the water, don't worry, make a change of 50% of water, add activated carbon to its filtration and no longer move the bottom of your tank, it will soon clear up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store