Apistogramma Agassizii

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daphilster08

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
St. Paul/Duluth(college) Minnesota
Hey guys,

So I recently got a new place and I plan to set up a fish room for rare nano fish. Most the fish I acquire will be wild caught but I came along these beautiful Apistogramma Agassizii "double reds".

Enjoy.

Male

I have two females.

The tank right when I set it up. Now all the leaves have sunk and the tannins have made it a blackwater biotope.

Let me know what you think.

- Phil

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Nice :clap:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:thumbsup:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Beautiful. And I like the oak leaf branch, that is excellent for a natural habitat feel. If you've done this previously, do you know how long the leaves will remain attached? I am assuming they would fall off at some point, just wondering. I use collected oak leaves in a couple of my tanks, to cover the sand, but the branch is something I've not thought of before.

Another suggestion; if this is the tank you intend for the wild apistos, I would exchange the rock for wood. The tannins from the wood will be useful for the wild fish. And I'm not meaning colouring the water, though that is one aspect, but the biological properties of the wood (like the leaves) is important.

Byron.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
good suggestions from Byron

do your research when getting wild apisto's

it'll go a long way..
as Byron suggested driftwood will add tannins which are good for the black water biotopes..

I've had apisto's in the past and I discovered they love to seek shelter in driftwood tangles

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Perhaps some photos may illustrate habitats, since we're on the topic. First photo [which ended up on the bottom for some reason so it is actually the third down] is the Rio Nanay in Peru, where the beautiful coral red pencilfish Nannostomus mortenthaleri lives alongside dwarf cichlids [this photo comes from an apisto site, and there are many more there]. This stream is clogged with sunken chunks of wood and roots. Second photo is a biotope aquascape of the Rio Huallaga. Top is an "apisto" biotope suggestion.

Rio Nanay Peru (2).jpg Rio Huallaga aquascape.jpg Apistogramma biotope.jpg

daphilster08

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks guys!! Appreciate the advice. The rocks are all I had on hand at the moment so I used that but I have kept multiple apisto tanks in the past and I did use mainly driftwood and oak leaves. As for the branch with leaves on it, I have had them stay on for about a year or so but I ended up taking the tank down anyway so I didn't see how long they really can last.

Those pictures are amazing by the way! I am going to add pencil fish to this tank too. I would love my tank to look like those tanks but I do not have all the manzita on hand.

Thanks again for the compliments everyone!

Mark Allred

AC Members
Jan 21, 2013
Spring Creek, Nevada
I would love to pick some of these up! Beautiful! I have several Apistos and Rams, and am really enjoying them!
I see Wetspot carries these, and Aquabid sometimes. I am restricted to mailorder, due to my location.

I did pick up a nice pair of Apistogramma resticulosa Wangenflecken?, while visiting in SLC over the holidays!
They were, however, sold as Apistogramma inconspicua.
001.JPG

001.JPG

daphilster08

AC Members
Sep 8, 2009
Awesome Mark! He looks great! What other species of apistos do you keep? That sucks that you can ship in fish. Is there no way you could ship it in to a near by location or get a mailbox at the post office for cheap and get it that way? There will be some nice apistos coming up for sale soon online both wild caught and tank raised.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store