aqua chillers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
I have a goldfish and he lives in a 10 gal tank. I used to live upstairs and it was VERY HOT, we moved to the basement apartment and it is much cooler but since I do not have adequate A/C during the day the temp reaches near 80 degrees. so I was intrested in learning about aquarium chillers, I have used the old ice water in the bag routine, but I am also at work during the day so please does anyone know about these things and how much they run?
thanks in advance

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Its cheaper to buy a window unit lmao
80 degrees isnt bad, my goldfish tank was 90 degrees during the day last summer, they can make it through the summer mothes.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Firebelly__girl is correct...you are unlikely to find a chiller for under $600.

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Also cheaper to buy a larger tank, so when you do a water change with cold water, it stays cooler longer. A goldfish is going to need more room at some point, anyway.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Yep... get a bigger tank... a used 55G for $30-50 and a small room A/C unit and you and your goldfish will be much better off. ;)

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
well, let me ask you all something else...

long story short... I have a 55 gal that I picked up for $50, I finally got everything that needs to be there for it to work (emp 400 bio wheel)
but the main reason I picked up the tank was so I could get all the other tankmates out of the goldfishes 10 gal tank... so he could have more room...
I'm going to put the A/C over to the other window which will put his tank first in line for the cool breeze, but the 55gal is a lot cooler (about 75-77 during day).
I was always told not to mix tropicals and coldwater fish but....I know george (goldfish) would be a lot happier with all that room....
but I have platies in the 55gal....
what should I do now....???
(besides buy a bigger tank just for george)

Last edited:

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
well, I have 5 platies of the sunset variety, and the goldfish is, as far as I can tell just an ordinary goldfish, it is about 3-4in now, and it just went through a tremendous growth spurt.
(when I got him he was small and black, now after 3-4 months he's big and gold...)
so what do you think?

well, from haed to the start of tail he is 4", the tail is almost another inch on top of that...

if I were to put him in there to, what other fish could I add later on down the road?

Last edited:

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
what about non coldwater fish, I really intended to have a few more platies and I eventually wanted a gourami, but if it would work with just platies I could compromise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store