aqua chillers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I would say that if there are only 5 platies, you might be better to put the platies in the 10G and put the goldfish in the 55G for the moment (since you said that the goldfish might be a common variety and not the fancy).

Commons grow to more than a foot, and would be better in a pond due to their large bioload. If the acquisition of a larger tank is not possible, might I suggest giving up the goldfish to someone that you trust in having fish? In a 55G tank, a full-grown goldfish will have difficulties changing their direction.

As for tankmates, I wouldn't suggest any fish that could be housed with a growing common goldfish in a 55G. Of course, this is assuming that it is a common goldfish.

Also, I've heard it before that it is not recommended to house tropical fishes with coldwater fishes. I'm pretty sure it's because of the temperature differences in which they thrive in.

Please correct me if the information that I'm giving is inaccurate.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
what about non coldwater fish, I really intended to have a few more platies and I eventually wanted a gourami, but if it would work with just platies I could compromise.
It would be ok if you mixed tropical and coldwater fish. As long as you dont add any more goldies, you can have just about any other fish you want in that tank.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
If you read the posts, he said that he's big and gold now, but was little and black when he got him, he's got a black moor, not a common. I wouldnt mix anything else with the platies and goldfish. Platys are pretty hardy and should be fine, but more sensitive fish like gouramis I wouldn't advise mixing with coldwater fish. I would put the platies in the 10 gallon, and put george, and 3 other fancy goldfish in the 55 gallon.

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I'm sorry that I don't know some information regarding the colour changes that are seen in black moors, if not, nothing at all. From what I thought, black moors don't change colour (now I know a bit more).

The reason I assumed that it was a common goldfish is because when he was asked what type of goldfish, he just said an ordinary goldfish...

I guess it was my mistake... -.-

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
lol, i wasnt saying it as like NO ITS NOT A COMMON YOUR WRONG type tone, i just know that black moors get gold in them as they mature =D

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
hmmm... well when I 1st got george, it was 5 months ago, and he is my first fish, shortly thereafter I went to LFS and they said that it would be fine to put 3 albino red tail sharks, AND 2 zebra danio's in the 10 gal tank with him!?! . so I got them and housed them all in the 10 gal. I was very attentive to the ammonia and did a lot (i mean A LOT) of water changes. when I found out it might be bad to have that many fish in such a small tank I found the 55 gal. anyway... the goldfish kinda does have a fancy appearance to it. I thought he was black because of ammonia toxification (when I 1st got him the tank was a mess, the same night I got tank, georges tankmate frank passed on to fishy heaven. so when I 1st got the 55 gal I put the smallest albino shark in there (cuz he is all beat up) and the 5 platies, I have just gotten a bunch of lava rock and it is soaking in water right now. so I have everything to finish the deco-side of the tank. anyway all together I have 5 platies, 3 albino sharks, 2 zebra danios and the goldfish... BTW how big do feeder goldfish get, the person who gave me the tank and the goldfish said that the fish was a mere 11 cents (I think) .... if so how big would that get???
ps. I may get 2 black mollies that need a home, where would you put the fish I have between the 10 gal, and the 55 gal???
thanks

Last edited:

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I'm was just actually stating that I didn't know that they changed colours :D Anyways, thank you for the information. Again, really sorry for the assumption.

Feeder goldfishes, aka common/comet goldfishes get to more than 12" if they are well maintained.

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
no apology needed, I was just trying to get out any other info I thought would be valid for you all to know in order to help me figure out my options...
I am a beginner and I really do not know much other than what I learn here, and a few other places on the web. after careful deliberation, I am going to put george in the 55GAL, but before I do I have to figure out what killed one of my platies...:( (I found him belly up at the bottom of the tank this morning, I did not have enough time to take a sample to the LFS for testing so I did a quick 10 gal water change and took out all of the lava rock that
I just put in there 2 days ago, not sure if that had anything to do with it but just to be safe until I can test the water.)

Last edited:

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
but again.... maybe i'm asking the wrong question....
so the cheap feeder goldfish how big do they get?
and the fancy ones...how big do they get?
thanks again, and really do not worry about what you reply in my postings,
all input is gladly accepted....
thanks

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
Feeders can get to more than 12". Fancies can get from 6" to 10" depending on the type of goldfish (I think there are other types that get to 14"). I'm not sure about the sizes specifically though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store