Aquageek's 29G Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquageek

AC Members
Feb 27, 2011
Real Name
John
Thanks, greech! It's really starting to come together. This morning my water in my mixing tote was at 79 degrees so I added my salt (7 cups, 15 gallons of water). I will let that mix up all day today, and over night. I plan on doing my first water change tomorrow (10%) and depending on how my levels look next week, possibly start to add the CUC.

I tested the water yesterday, ammonia was between 0 and .25 (those API kits are hard to read), nitrite was 0, and nitrate was around 30. So my nitrates are still pretty high, I think this is mostly due to the fact that I cycled with tap water (won't be doing that again lol) so I am eager to start doing some water changes with the good water.

As for flow, I have been thinking the same thing. I moved the power head to the bottom left back wall and pointed it down towards the sand bed, and I have the return outlet pointing up and to the right to get some surface agitation. Been thinking on getting another Nano 240 and putting it on the right side of the tank.

As far as planned live stock... I have no idea lol. I haven't even considered what I want for fish and coral - I'm not even sure what I want to do for a CUC. I have been spending most of my time just making sure everything is good with my equipment and rock placement, etc.

Which leads me to my last point. Temperature... I have been battling this the entire time. Came into the office this morning, and the tank was at 80.2, currently its at 80.8 as I type - and this is with the lights still off from last night. I've got my heater set to 77 so it shouldn't even be running. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to have to buy a chiller as those are expensive. I am thinking about replacing the 2 fans in the hood... and possibly getting an LED retrofit kit. I need to figure something out to bring the temperature down.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You mentioned that the temp was 80+ with the lights being off all night. So you think the lights are heating it up during the day and the tank is retaining most of the heat overnight? If so, the LED upgrade would be my suggestion. The fans may do the trick though. Not really an issue now with no livestock but you definitely need to get that under control. Does the tank have a feeding lid that you can leave open?

fishndude

Keep the cat out the fish tank
Mar 21, 2010
Nashville,tennessee
CONGRATS MAN the set up is looking good though try not to have 12 hours of light it will keep down on the alage. remember to take things slow and you are well on your way.

aquageek

AC Members
Feb 27, 2011
Real Name
John
Tank is doing good. Still got some algae, but the bloom is definitely over. Temperature has also stabilized - finally! I've added a small clean up crew consisting of:

3 Peppermint shrimp
4 Astrea Snails
4 Red Legged Hermit crabs

They seem to be going at it pretty hard. Most of the diatoms and hair algae has been cleaned up - still have some cyano algae in the sand and on the glass a bit. Not sure if it's a nutrient thing (too much) from the tap water I used to cycle, or if I don't have enough flow. I have done a few water changes so far (with RO/DI) so hopefully after a few more I can theoretically have all of the tap water out. Here soon it's going to be time to start thinking about coral and fish! I am excited!

Here is a picture of one of the peppermint shrimp grazing on a rock.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Good progress. Cyano could be from any/all of the things you mentioned. If the RO/DI doesn't clear it up and you are running good media and keeping it changed out as required, may need to consider upping the flow.

aquageek

AC Members
Feb 27, 2011
Real Name
John
I pulled a bunch more cyano out from the sand bed today - that stuff is making me angry lol. The CUC has pretty much taken care of most of the algae except for the cyano. I refuse to add any coral or fish until that stuff is gone. I did a 5G water change today with RO/DI water and I am planning on doing another one on Friday. I am never starting a salt water tank with treated tap water again lol.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Tank is doing good. Still got some algae, but the bloom is definitely over. Temperature has also stabilized - finally! I've added a small clean up crew consisting of:

3 Peppermint shrimp
4 Astrea Snails
4 Red Legged Hermit crabs

They seem to be going at it pretty hard. Most of the diatoms and hair algae has been cleaned up - still have some cyano algae in the sand and on the glass a bit. Not sure if it's a nutrient thing (too much) from the tap water I used to cycle, or if I don't have enough flow. I have done a few water changes so far (with RO/DI) so hopefully after a few more I can theoretically have all of the tap water out. Here soon it's going to be time to start thinking about coral and fish! I am excited!

Here is a picture of one of the peppermint shrimp grazing on a rock.

Sounds like the tank is doing well so far :) Cool peppermint shrimp!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You shouldn't need to but you could use a product called chemi-clean to take care of the cyano. If there is a lingering source of nutirients, it may not solve your problem but 1 or 2 treatments typically takes care of the situation even in a stocked tank. I would imagine it would take care of the issue all together in your situation. Again, it should go away on its own but something to consider if it persists despite your best efforts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store