Aquarium needing reseal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sartorial

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2023
How big of an issue are bubbles in the silicone of the tank?

I’m looking to set up this 55 (we think) Gal tank I got but noticed bubbles when I picked it up.

It was tested and held water 1 night without leaking, just want to make sure. If it does need resealing, how hard would it be to do?

603D78CA-375F-434A-A3B6-725E3CA9F28C.png

00118499-D3AD-4BEE-A841-AA7E4986229D.jpeg

CEAB767E-45C7-4C33-B64E-FDC91FDB990D.png

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm going to go a bit iffy, it might be ok, but I would just reseal it. You have a few less than great looking seals.

It's not super hard to reseal a tank, preparation is all! I'm sure I & others have done the step by step process you need (look it up!). Basically it's razor blade off all the silcone without digging into between the panes holding the glass together. Rubbing alcohol to remove the surface silicone. Be careful to get it all off! Let it dry out, then get ready to seal! & practice before hand! Use blue painter's tape to get ready...Then GO! Really, you need to read about exactly what that means. I've done it, you can too!!...& if all goes sideways you can still scrape it off & start again. So it costs you a tube of silicone or so? Meh...

Look up how to do this, I'm tired of typing what I've (& others) said many, many times before. The more you practice on cardboard box corners the better the seal will be. A wet finger is really key to make it all come together. Just give it a try!

Sartorial

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2023
Well, I'm going to go a bit iffy, it might be ok, but I would just reseal it. You have a few less than great looking seals.

It's not super hard to reseal a tank, preparation is all! I'm sure I & others have done the step by step process you need (look it up!). Basically it's razor blade off all the silcone without digging into between the panes holding the glass together. Rubbing alcohol to remove the surface silicone. Be careful to get it all off! Let it dry out, then get ready to seal! & practice before hand! Use blue painter's tape to get ready...Then GO! Really, you need to read about exactly what that means. I've done it, you can too!!...& if all goes sideways you can still scrape it off & start again. So it costs you a tube of silicone or so? Meh...

Look up how to do this, I'm tired of typing what I've (& others) said many, many times before. The more you practice on cardboard box corners the better the seal will be. A wet finger is really key to make it all come together. Just give it a try!

Thank you so much for the reply! I’ve looked up a few videos and forums about it and have gotten a pretty good idea just in case.

One thing though, would you recommend just the GE #1 silicon or Food safe/Aquarium silicon?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh man, I forget which GE silcone...I "think" it's silicone 2...but it's been too many years, might be 1. I'm very sorry I don't remember. I think you can do a search to find out here on AC or google. I'm not the only resealer by far...you can do it! It's not that hard...Prep!!! & practice! New silicone will NOT stick to old...that's why you need to prep & be ready to go when it's time.

Reactions: Sartorial

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If I'm seeing the tag properly, this tank is from 1994 or 96, so it's an oldie and has probably been re-sealed. I've never tried re-sealing a tank. There's two sealing surfaces from the factory. The silicone that "glues" the panes of glass together edge to edge and then a bead of silicone pressed into all the corners so to speak. Best you can do is re-do the secondary.

You can find fish stores that sell brand new 55's for $60-70 these days.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Use GE silicone 1 or just pick up some aquarium silicone, get the silicone in the cartridge and not the small size tubes.

Sartorial

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2023
If I'm seeing the tag properly, this tank is from 1994 or 96, so it's an oldie and has probably been re-sealed. I've never tried re-sealing a tank. There's two sealing surfaces from the factory. The silicone that "glues" the panes of glass together edge to edge and then a bead of silicone pressed into all the corners so to speak. Best you can do is re-do the secondary.

You can find fish stores that sell brand new 55's for $60-70 these days.
Not any near me sadly.. Rarely you see a used one popping up, not 55 gallon though. I have a PetSmart near me but they just sell the 36 gallon kits for 349. I may end up breaking down and getting one.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not any near me sadly.. Rarely you see a used one popping up, not 55 gallon though. I have a PetSmart near me but they just sell the 36 gallon kits for 349. I may end up breaking down and getting one.
My other fear of spending the time resealing what you have is the plastic frames are likely brittle if they're indeed ~28yr/old.

I'd sell/donate this tank to someone with hermit crabs, reptiles, etc..

Sartorial

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2023
My other fear of spending the time resealing what you have is the plastic frames are likely brittle if they're indeed ~28yr/old.

I'd sell/donate this tank to someone with hermit crabs, reptiles, etc..
Very true. I got it really cheap so I’ll probably end up doing that and just getting a new one to avoid the mess. Thank you all for all the answers!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Very true. I got it really cheap so I’ll probably end up doing that and just getting a new one to avoid the mess. Thank you all for all the answers!
No problem. This is a great site to lean on.

In terms or resealing, I totally see the value in it if it's a large expensive tank or an odd-ball rare one you're trying to save. To me, standard sized tanks up to 55 are just not worth it based on what a new one costs. PetSmart can order what you want I believe and tanks up to 55 are often on sale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store