Are cichlids and gourami compatible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishfood420

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
I dont know anything about cichlids and i wanted to know if they were more of a species only fish. Can they be put with gourami? (depending on the types).

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
I have two Angels, which are cichlids, with a paradise fish & a gold gourami. They get along fine. It may be an exception though.

fishfood420

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
I have a few gourami with a Blood Parrot and they do fine as well but i wanted to know if i could put some more cichlids in the tank, but i dont know what types would be compatible if any.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Depends on the Cichlids and the size tank. Larger and/or more aggressive Cichlids are likely to tear up Gourami if they feel like it. Angels and Gourami can be a bad combination as the Gourami have tendencies to nip the Angels fins.

That said, stuff like rams, apistogramma species and jewels can be homed with Gourami in a decently sized tank - still comes down to the individual fish involved though. Broadly speaking its the fish that decides what it can go with, not us. Can't get the buggers to read the compatability threads on this site either.

Reactions: angelcraze

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Which Gourami and which cichlid? There's a wide range of behaviour/aggression in both groups of fish. If you can list the specific combination or at leat one of the fish you're interested in you can get a straight answer. As it stands now the answer would be "maybe, sometimes"!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Lol... yes, 'chiclid' and 'gourami' are both impossibly broad terms. It's kinda like asking "do catfish and shrimp get along?"

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have to agree...too broad of a question to get a simple "yes" or "no" answer :grinyes:

Smaller SA cichlids such as rams and apistos would work with smaller grouamis (dwarf, honey, pearl, etc.) depending on tank size.

fishfood420

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Okay, cool. I'll try to be more exact. I have not had any cichlids before, other than angels and my blood parrot. I want smaller cichlids for my 120 gal. tank that I have now. 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Honey Gourami, 1 Blue Gourami, 1 Opaline Gourami, 2 Blue Dwarf Gourami. I wanted to add some smaller cichlids if possible. What would those cichlids be if any?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store