Are the plants you're selling/trading ILLEGAL?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CBWMN

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
El Paso, TX
I just wanted ya’ll to know that Limnophila Sessiflora and Hygrophila Polysperma are NOT illegal to possess or ship within the state lines of Texas: http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxious?rptType=State&statefips=48

The federal statutes do not apply within a lot of the states. They are meant to apply for shipment
outside the state lines.
I’m sure that AC can come up with a “rule” prohibiting these genus of plants for sale or WTB ads.
But in the end, it’s up to the hobbyist to act in a responsible manner.
Thank you
Charles

afishpond

AC Members
Dec 4, 2009
well just wanted to add my 2 cents in this take half the plants on here and if you don't fine them on one list they are on the other and if it can take the cold for get it also some that a lot of us will fine real nice is you need to know just what kind you have as with parret feather was told i need to look it up an found that there are 14 kinds of it and half of them look the same .so luck good with keeping your selfs with in the law .to me this is alot of bull but i know it has its good side to.

Last edited:

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
for what it's worth, here's the link to California's noxious weed list -- which is called the Encycloweedia.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/weedinfo/winfo_list-pestrating.htm

kind of handy to have if you live in or are shipping to CA.

A little decoding:

"Any premises, plants, vehicles, or items which are infested with any pest, including noxious weeds, or premises where any such pest is found, are defined as a public nuisance and may be prosecuted as such. Without a permit, it is unlawful for any person to maintain such a public nuisance."

Having any of these anywhere in CA is technically actionable and they (the state or your county) could theoretically start a nuisance abatement action for it.

The letter codes (A, B, C, Q) are internal codes designating the Department's prioritization for enforcement.

"A" means the pest is in limited locations so far and they (the state) really want to stomp on it, or that it's a really serious threat to health or agriculture despite being more widespread. For an "A" (or "Q") if sufficiently provoked they may "nuke on sight" without bothering to go through an abatement action.

"B" means it's wider spread in the state and other than getting it out of nurseries they try to let the counties cope with it,

"C" means it's very widespread; it's down on the priority list and they probably won't get too excited unless they find it in a crop or incoming crop seed. Instead they rely on public information methods to convince folks to comply on their own.

"Q" is a rapid-response "A" for something new that they haven't had the time to do a full regulation process for. (It takes years.)

If you see a "D," it's a non-noxious non-native and not regulated by this act.

Note that they don't seem to inspect the LFS; my guess is that it's because they aren't registered nurseries.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
hygrophilia polysperma is on that list and there are a number of people who propagate the stuff here in MN. I grow the stuff in my tank. it grows great and looks even better. he can try to come take mine.
This post is way old and I don't know if anyone will read my reply, but I kick myself all the time that I did not keep one sprig of my hygrophila polysperma when I switched tanks. I had gotten it before it was illegal and had purchased it in a LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store