Baby bristlenose pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
It's literally not my choice to make. Trust me, I'd LOVE to not have the 55 gallon I upgraded from sitting around empty doing nothing (especially as I've been having the worst luck selling it off, I got one interested reply and they only wanted the tank by itself which would've left me with a useless stand and all the old supplies I don't need). But when you have a mother who's firm on something, you do not challenge that.
I know and I understand, you've said that before. Just teasing you a bit. ;)

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I miss having a basement...Yes, your BN looks more albino than I had thought...a lesser selling point than yellow but...ask your lfs. You may have more of an incentive to rehome the male...pretty soon. Sorry, I'm excited for your fry...but, yeah, the big picture plan, 1 or maybe 2 more batches of eggs...& think hard (seems like I've said this before...lol...to you & others...)

So, do you have Next Door or similar? Local fish clubs? In a general way where do you live? State? Nearby big city? Please don't give us your street address, people have & it's not my idea of internet safety...paranoid old person talking...

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Here's what he looks like again if it helps. Characteristic bright red eyes of an albino.
View attachment 229319
View attachment 229320

And the female for good measure.
View attachment 229321
View attachment 229322

Nah I get it, I'm not mad or anything. Maybe just a little frustrated with the temptations that I already hold internally and have to ignore lol.

Kind of? We'd like to get it out of the house before the end of the month as we have family over then and she'll want to move the furniture she wants to move before that (basically to make room for the new tank a bunch of things got shuffled around and one piece needs to go where the old tank is). But it's not necessarily do or die either as, if push comes to shove, it can just go sit in the basement.
Have you thought of trying to trade the 55 for something on CL or offer up? I’ve traded tanks for all kinds of things, video games for my kid, fish, equipment, etc...

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I miss having a basement...Yes, your BN looks more albino than I had thought...a lesser selling point than yellow but...ask your lfs. You may have more of an incentive to rehome the male...pretty soon. Sorry, I'm excited for your fry...but, yeah, the big picture plan, 1 or maybe 2 more batches of eggs...& think hard (seems like I've said this before...lol...to you & others...)

So, do you have Next Door or similar? Local fish clubs? In a general way where do you live? State? Nearby big city? Please don't give us your street address, people have & it's not my idea of internet safety...paranoid old person talking...
Any kind of club is a moot point because of "New Normal" even if I was familiar with any. Best bet will be the LFS I frequent as they're always carrying plecos so they should be able to take him. Already planning on going there soon anyway to return the extra apisto males I've described in other threads.

What would REALLY be nice is if I could get enough store credit to knock down the price of the royal farlowellas they have there for a "discount swap" of sorts. Assuming they don't disappear like the regular farlo did all those weeks ago...

The other issue however is quarantine space. I have but the one 10 gallon and it's at overcapacity as it is with the batch of black neons I just got on top of the fairy cories and female apisto that are already in there from yesterday. So adding anything more before they're clear to move out is testy to say the least. Which conflicts with the plan to take the fish back on Thursday as that's the best time stocking-wise to go, but if any of the farlos, regular or otherwise, are there, it's going to be really tempting to grab one.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, yeah, I forgot you've been QTing lots of new fish...Just ask what they're policy is, it won't change much no matter as I recall...& see what they offer for BN fry. In the "olden days" it was maybe 1/4 of what they could sell fish for...a $2 fish is worth $0.50 just to give you an idea...but that was back in the day.

Do not get any more fish for your QT...You need to truly QT them, not an every week of new fish additions...I understand your "finally found black neons" thing...but that's not really how QT works...be more careful...& in less of a hurry...you'll be sorry if that's your attitude, really, you will...I understand the parental pressure but don't be...well, stupid...& maybe very unhappy & have to buy drugs to keep your QT fish "safe", there is no savings that way...& it's a lot more work...

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
To be fair, this is the first time I've quarantined fish EVER so it's already far more than anything I've done in the past, and the black neons were something of an exception just because of the circumstances. I wouldn't have ended up with this many new fish at the in one sitting if I had all the options in front of me at the same time yesterday, it's just how things happened and I really didn't want to pass them up lest I go several more weeks without a sighting and resort to paying that much more to order online.

If it helps, I already made several careful choices and avoided fish I knew were sick or were with sick fish at the store, and I already have a fresh case of MetroPlex just in case things go awry. Yes, I did take a bit more of a risk than I wanted to, but I'm still taking precautions regardless.

Reactions: Wyomingite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry if I seemed obnoxious in my previous post...I do appreciate you QTing fish at all, it's a major step to do that...But believe me, you will be glad you QT. At least you have a very good idea of what healthy fish look like unlike newbs.

Like I said in your other thread, I bet there are more BN fry, you're just finding the boldest & maybe biggest. Plan!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store