Back in the hobby after taking 8 years off. Need some suggestions on Filtration.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcard71

Registered Member
Oct 13, 2006
Hi,

I know there are fans of both Eheim and Fluval's out there and I use to have an FX5 on 125 gallon Frontosa Moba tank and liked it, but it was a bit loud for me.

Everything I've read says the Eheim is super quiet and I'm setting up a 120 Gallon tank and thinking of Professionel4e+ . Is that the top of the line model?
What is the best Eheim I can get in the US? I've also read that many folks like the Claasic model? 2262?

Thanks!
Jim

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I cannot help you with the Pro 4 or Pro 3 lines because all of my 3 Pro 2s which have been running for 17, 15 and 6 years are all still ruuning fine and are as quiet as they were when first hooked up. You cannot find new Pro 2s any longer even on Ebay. Years ago I found 3 NIB and bought them all. I jkeep 2 on the shelf. One is a spare for the other 3 and the 2nd one is the larger size supposed to go onto a tank I have procrastinated for a few years on setting up.

I am older and am basically an analog person. So I am not inclined to buy basically things which have a digital component if I can avoid it. Amost everything I have or still own that is part digital and part analog almost always has the digital part break not the analog parts. My dishwasher still has a slider, a knob and push buttons and has not missed a beat since I bought it about 7 years ago. About the only digital pieces of equipment I have related to fish keeping are a three way continuous monitor for TDS/pH/Temp and a couple of hand held TDS testers.

Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I agree with TTA about the electronic type filters and prefer the old style Eheim filters. The 2260 if you can find a used one or the 2262 might be a good choice depending on the fish you plan to keep.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you prefer old school designs, you see very few complaints on eheim classics, Rena/API filstars, among others..

My Sunsun 302 is running solid on all it's original seals and gaskets since 2012-13. Same with my Marineland C360.

For a 120g, you can't beat an AquaClear 110 hang on back or two if you don't mind a bit of noise.

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store