Balancing privacy on an aquarium forum.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
You are so right. I have a friend who was robbed at gunpoint in his own home by a guy he met on a gaming website. He thought the guy was coming over to have a beer and play some video games, but instead the guy brought two gang banger friends and a van. No one was hurt but he lost his TV, DVD player, computer, etc., not to mention he was scared to death when the gun was shoved in his face.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
You have to be careful. There are very few sites that people even know what my real first name is. Fortunately for me my nickname is nothing like my given name. I started a thread on here about some of the AC member coming to where I live to collect on the lake. This is the only site I would ever imagine doing that, even with this site, if people whom have not been here a good while, who I don't feel I can trust, start asking where I live to come and collect, they will not get the address. Even with all of the safeguards, when and if this collecting get together happens, my 6'4" hubby and his bigger little brother will be at the Spillway where we will meet. Once I see everyone who shows up, then I will decide if they actually get to know where I live.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'm also cautious. When I deal with transactions myself, I get to know the person first or ask his close friends who he is by being indirect about it before making deals with him over anything related to this hobby.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I don't think it's about finding a balance so much as keeping yourself safe. Like another poster said, I'm not worried for my safety; but there are others involved to think about. You just have to figure out for your self what you're comfortable with for your situation.

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
Personal info should never be posted on ANY forum...if you need to pass it to someone, do it via PM...and only do it if you feel comfy...
Agreed. Don't do it when standing at the podium, do it while whispering to a specific person after the speech, get it kinda? :thumbsup:
shipping estimates or meetings can be narrowed down to just a zip code....

if you do agree to meet, meet in public, in daytime, at a busy place with lots of folks around. Your car parked far away....
:iagree:

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I feel that the internet gets an undeservedly bad reputation - it has to do with those very rare but highly publicized horror stories.

No one rants about the dangers of meeting a new person by other means - as if to say that such crimes had not existed throughout human history without aid of the internet. The truth is there are bad people in the world, and there aren't any more or any less of them online. Yet for some reason the internet has gained this reputation. It doesn't make much sense.

I recall reading an article that debunked the supposed dangers of online dating. The statistics were very interesting. An estimated tens of thousands of people meet in person after talking online every month, there are hardly but a few reported incidents of any nasty situations occurring in turn. In fact the gross majority of people who meet through social networking sites, whether for dating, gaming, trading, etc report very high rates of satisfaction with such interactions. The internet has become an almost indispensible tool for human communications.

But naturally people hear of those few incidents and start freaking out about how it shows that meeting or dealing online is so dangerous. The article took its best turn however when it started talking about the unending number of murders, rapes, robberies, etc that take place when people encounter each other by other means. According to one statistic, a woman is literally millions of times more likely to get raped by a neighbor, coworker, schoolmate, casual acquaintance, a perfect stranger, or even a family member than she is by anyone she might meet online. The same goes for robberies/muggings, etc - for every one internet meeting related story like the horrible thing that happened Dr. Awkward's friend, there are literally millions of crimes like that and worse which are committed each and every day with absolutely no connection to internet networking. You are thus millions of times more likely to be the victim of a crime not related to internet dealings than you are by one that is. Yet for some reason the internet is handed some sort of boogeyman status. Why do you think this is? I am never able to theorize the reasoning.

I feel it is dangerous because it inadvertently downplays the far more volatile "real world" of which we have no control. At least with the internet we can have the option of picking and choosing who, what and where we involve ourselves. With that in mind, consider how the more we emphasize the dangers of the internet (especially to children) the more we are unintentionally downplaying those dangers of physical life. I'm not saying we shouldn't practice serious safety with internet networking, but that we shouldn't get so carried away with it that we forget how much more dangerous the supposed real world is.

I recall the first time I started thinking about this topic - several years back I had a friend who was always complaining that she couldn't find a good guy. For several weeks she was talking to someone on a dating site and telling me about how much she was interested in him but that it was too bad he's an "internet" guy so they'll never meet. She didn't see any irony in the fact that I was an "internet" guy before I met some of the girls I had dated and that she knew me as a safe person to be around. This still didn't convince her to meet anyone from online and she eventually started dating someone she met at her yoga class. Long story short, after two dates she decided she wasn't interested and he decided become a really creepy stalker to the point where not only did she have to lose out on her yoga classes, she had change her phone number and her email address.
Then I recalled where I met the girl who eventually became my scary stalker - at a diner. Of the several girls I've met through the internet, not one ever turned out to be dangerous or threatening in any way. Yet the diner girl...yeah, had me scared for my safety for a long time.

In fact tonight I read an article about a woman who was gang raped after having come out of a Chinese take out place. Six guys waited for her to come out and jumped her. She had no control over this situation - she was simply going about her business and up comes this horrible event that has destroyed her life.

I guess what I'm saying is that playing it safe is not something we need to be more worried about online than we do offline. That the internet is merely a reflection of the human world and not a place where there is any more or less danger from those with ill intentions.

Way long and rather off topic, but one of my favorite rants is the internet safety rant.

NorthcoastGirl

Proud Fish Geek
Oct 28, 2009
The Rust Belt
It's not so much the personal safety I worry about- it's the potential for scams and just general spiteful nastiness. The thing about internet communication is that it gives the illusion of familiarity. I could exchange e-mails and PMs for a year with somebody and yet I don't really know them until we've hung out in real life.

When it comes to business transactions... references, references, and more references. Can't emphasize that enough, lol

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Surely references! One of the best things about the net when it comes to business is feedback. On places like ebay or on Amazon third party sellers, those feedback ratings are great to have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store