Bangaii being out-competed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
I have two Bangaii Cardinals and the smaller of the two, which I'm thinking is the female, is having a difficult time eating in my display tank. The 5 Chromis are scooping up the food before she can even get to it.

I've tried target feeding with a syringe, but the chromis are still a bother. I'm thinking that it might be in her best interests if I set up my QT and keep her in there till she gets a little bigger or learns to actively go after food. She's pretty skinny.

What kind of supplements should I use? I'm thinking garlic and selcon mixed with her food. She doesn't seem to go after mysis like one would expect. She won't take flake and she isn't too keen on frozen Prime Reef. Any other food suggestions?

Thanks.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Depending on her size you could always try raising brine shrimp that are fortified with things like Selcon etc etc etc and see if she goes after those. Heck she might even just thrive on the napauli (sp?).

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
You could also change her feeding time. I know my chromis will hide in the rocks during dark hours. I try to feed my other fish during those times. I am not sure if your bangaii are out and about during those hours though.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
They are out and about all the time. My Chromis also hide in the rocks at lights out, but they also come out when I try to feed the Bangaii at night. It might be best to move her to the QT. At least then she'll have a chance to eat and I'll be able to nail down exactly what she will take.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
Well I've seperated her from the main display and she is in QT by herself now. It doesn't look good. She is really thin and still doesn't seem to want to eat. I made her a mixture of cyclopeeze, Marine Cuisine, Prime Reef, Mysis, Zooplankton and Garlic. She ate very little and pretty much hangs out at the bottom of the tank next to the sponge filter. I doubt she will live very long.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Try feeding her live baby brine shrimp their movements should get her to eat. Also, you might consider putting a mirror against the qt that way it won't feel alone. Are their any signs of infection or just emaciation? I hope the brine shrimp idea works for you ! Live newly hatched brine are also an excellent food source.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
It has worked for me in the past.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
I'll try to find a small mirror. She still isn't eating, but I've decided to hatch brine shrimp and they should be done by tomorrow. She is really emaciated...no external signs of infection though. I'm surprised she has made it this far. I hope the Baby brine shrimp works. I'll keep you all posted.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
She is dead now. I was able to hatch baby brine shrimp for her but by that time it was too late. She didn't want anything to do with it.

I'll be in the market for a new Bangaii. I'd really like to be able to breed these guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store