Best aqueon filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
I have a 20 gallon highly planted aquarium and i'm looking to replace my filter. I will say that the aquarium is pretty highly stocked with livebearers so more then likely there's a high bio-load. My main question is what aqueon HOB filter size you'd suggest. Im thinking the power 30 but wanted to know what you guys would suggest. Speedy replies are appreciated because my older one seems to not be holding out too well and I'd like to get it before the storm, thanks!

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
For a HOB, I'd switch to AquaClear which allows you greater media flexability. I like Aqueon, the company, but I'm just not a fan of cartridge type filters.

Just my $.02 :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
+1 to above. I've got a couple aqueon filters that sit unused, if you try you can kind engineer your own non cart setup but why bother when you can get something else that is meant for it. I'd go with an Aquaclear50, amazon or drfosters usually have the best prices on them.

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
I game to try something new. Would you guys suggest the 200 GPH or the 150 GPH? I would usually opt for the stronger one but I don't want the flow to be too strong

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
200gph should be fine, I've run 2 of those on a 29g, guppies and platy's swim right through the flow no problem.

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Cool, thanks for all the help. My other question is how the filter pads work. Is it similar to the aqueons where they're already prepared and you just slide them in?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Ditch them and make your own. I for one use the existing pad and some other self-made filter packs.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
New aquaclears will come with a sponge, carbon and biomax, normally I'd take the carbon and set it aside for future use(I dont run carbon all the time) put the biomax in the mesh bag, insert sponge, carbon if you want to use it then the biomax up top. When you do waterchanges you just take the sponge swish it around in the old tank water to get the debris off it and reuse, swish out any detrius in the biomax as well.

I run, the sponge, purigen, and biomax, so I never have to buy new media just rinse the sponge, recharge the purigen every 2-3 months. If you like to run carbon just replace the carbon bag every 4 weeks, or buy a filter sock and a container of carbon and save some money.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Oh if your breeding livebearers in the tank, maybe pick up a prefilter as well. I run these, Amazon also sells them in a 3 pack for $5. http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A1387-F...d=1351446072&sr=8-3&keywords=fluval+prefilter slip over the intake, secure in place with a rubberband, the downside is you have to remove it and rinse/wring it out good every few days. Keeps fry, shrimplets, and plant matter from being sucked up though.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I got an aqeon filter and am using some clamshell filter holders that I got for another hob a long time ago from Dr.s Foster & Smith.. They fit right inside the cartridge holders, and I use my own media. Is working quite well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store