Best clip on light for nano planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
You're welcome with questions.. .
CRI=Color Rendering Index: how naturally the colors appear. Higher as 90 is good (max is 100)
Is the new 8000K light a led?
For low to medium light plants the temperature and CRI is not important. Until the 70's, early 80's even, incandescent bulbs were still used to grow aquarium plants. Fluorescent bulbs back then had low temperatures, with low CRI's. It doesn't look good in the aquarium, but you can have great plant growth with it. Red and blue leds are a fad taken over from folks who grow pot in their basement. You absolutely don't need it. White light consists of all colors, called a spectrum. When you have daylight temperatures (6500 or 8000) with a good CRI all colors are already in that light, or it wouldn't look natural.
Still, you could go to the hardware store and buy the cheapest fluorescents to grow aquarium plants. It will make the water look like apple juice, and all the colors are flat, but you can have good plant growth with it. Some of my tanks have Leds they are all white.
thanks
yes. The finnex planted+ HLC
ok, good to know.
But red and blue help right? Im aware white contains all colors. And I do know know waht a spectrum is (thank god! lol). MY my. reading this I feel like I might be sounding rude. Hope I doesn't come across that way. :)
OK. thanks

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like said above, I'd settle on the size of the tank's footprint first, then this will give you an idea of lighting that's appropriate and will fit the space.

Does it have to be something pretty? There's ALL kinds of flat and thin square to rectangular shaped LED flood lights available by mail-order very reasonably.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Like said above, I'd settle on the size of the tank's footprint first, then this will give you an idea of lighting that's appropriate and will fit the space.

Does it have to be something pretty? There's ALL kinds of flat and thin square to rectangular shaped LED flood lights available by mail-order very reasonably.
Yes I realize that. We are still working that out.

Well it hat to look stylish. It could be a desk lamp (I know, not clip on) that fits in a small space. Short answer: yes, it does. But there are no shape requirements.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Finnex make a decent, inexpensive clip on light. It's 'full' spectrum, the light looks good (to me, I don't go for CRI or accurate color representation, I just go with what looks good to my eyes) and will grow plants (depending on the depth from the light to the plant you are trying to grow)

For an all in one for a betta, I would likely go with the Fluval Spec, the more recent one with the updated light in the new box... Freshwater one.

Just go with plants to go with the light you choose in the end.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Finnex make a decent, inexpensive clip on light. It's 'full' spectrum, the light looks good (to me, I don't go for CRI or accurate color representation, I just go with what looks good to my eyes) and will grow plants (depending on the depth from the light to the plant you are trying to grow)

For an all in one for a betta, I would likely go with the Fluval Spec, the more recent one with the updated light in the new box... Freshwater one.

Just go with plants to go with the light you choose in the end.
thanks. This??

Ok, thank you. Maybe a little picy but I dunno if she'll even go with an AIO.

yes. Good idea.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
That one, or they have others.. it's gonna depend on the size of the tank.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
You don't need a 7500 kelvin light, sunlight is either 6000k or 6500k

Also it looks like it's not gonna cover much area with light..

I don't know if it was mentioned but the aqueon clip ons are better. Also are you doing open top or lid tank. The tank model will decide which light you can get because some lights are not compatible with some tanks so I still think you should choose the tank model first.

personally for small tanks I reccomend this or something similar to this here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store