Best place to buy plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
John, let's talk about your lighting & plants. I only very recently learned of crepidiomanes ferns, they're like very tiny java ferns. I plan to try them soon. But they're pricey like most bucephalandra...

I'm going to stick to my list in post #23...but I haven't had long term success with glosso, so maybe all "groundcovers" should be off you wish list for now...but I'm keeping a soft spot for lilaeopsis for a low grower. You're never going to have a "lawn", but that's ok.

So, now that you have some opinions, (we ALL have them, lol), what plants are you thinking of getting? Please plan to get at least a crypt or 2, this is my very favorite genus!!! They come in many leaf shapes, colors & textures, get some!

Reactions: Sprinkle

johnwduncan

AC Members
Aug 6, 2020
John, let's talk about your lighting & plants. I only very recently learned of crepidiomanes ferns, they're like very tiny java ferns. I plan to try them soon. But they're pricey like most bucephalandra...

I'm going to stick to my list in post #23...but I haven't had long term success with glosso, so maybe all "groundcovers" should be off you wish list for now...but I'm keeping a soft spot for lilaeopsis for a low grower. You're never going to have a "lawn", but that's ok.

So, now that you have some opinions, (we ALL have them, lol), what plants are you thinking of getting? Please plan to get at least a crypt or 2, this is my very favorite genus!!! They come in many leaf shapes, colors & textures, get some!
I have only recently learned about some plants I could add. I was looking at some Anubias, Java Fern, also some Bucephalandra. Basically anything I can glue to a rock and put in the tank. Also I didnt want to have to deal with C02. any specific crypts you can suggest?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
i was actually on that site looking around a couple of days ago.
I would check reviews before ordering, I know I have heard bad things about them in the past, especially regarding shipping times and substitutions.

johnwduncan

AC Members
Aug 6, 2020
I would check reviews before ordering, I know I have heard bad things about them in the past, especially regarding shipping times and substitutions.
i was probably going to go with an ebay seller or seattle aquatics. since the usps has delays, i didnt want to order from a seller that was too far away.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's good advice to check reviews for everyone. Irrespective to who makes the recommendation.

Even my suggestions.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
In my early plant days 2001-2003 I shopped with AZ gardens. I had some awful experiences and would not suggest anybody use them. But that was a long time ago, and they could have changed. I just never went back.

If you have never gardened outdoors in dirt and if you are new to aquarium plants here is the best suggestion I can offer. Like anything else in life, one needs to learn and to gain experience over time when they take on something new. If you wanted to learn how to drive, would you start in a nice sedan type car or would you start out in an Indy 500 race car? Start with the easy stuff

There is a learning curve with planted tanks and if one tries to start to skip the stuff at the bottom, you will likely fail. Start with easy to keep lower light plants. Make sure you know how fast in in what way they will grow. We have two choices when starting a new planted tank. One is to purchase less expensive small sizes and plan for them to grow into what we envision. The other is to pay more for bigger examples of the same plants and start with the need for less growth to reach the desired appearance.

This should be a big help in choosing plants. It it the list of plants that are rated easy to keep by Tropica. You can see pictures and all the info about the plant here https://tropica.com/en/plants/search/?mode=search&sew=&dif=Easy&pgr=&ori=&use=
For in depth info about any plant in the list, click on it and you will more info. For example do you want Bucephalandra 'Kedagang'. Bucephalandra sp. 'Red', or Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green' which you can see either grown on a lava stone or potted.

As far as I am concerned the Tropica site is a superb planted tank resource. http://tropica.com/en/

johnwduncan

AC Members
Aug 6, 2020
In my early plant days 2001-2003 I shopped with AZ gardens. I had some awful experiences and would not suggest anybody use them. But that was a long time ago, and they could have changed. I just never went back.

If you have never gardened outdoors in dirt and if you are new to aquarium plants here is the best suggestion I can offer. Like anything else in life, one needs to learn and to gain experience over time when they take on something new. If you wanted to learn how to drive, would you start in a nice sedan type car or would you start out in an Indy 500 race car? Start with the easy stuff

There is a learning curve with planted tanks and if one tries to start to skip the stuff at the bottom, you will likely fail. Start with easy to keep lower light plants. Make sure you know how fast in in what way they will grow. We have two choices when starting a new planted tank. One is to purchase less expensive small sizes and plan for them to grow into what we envision. The other is to pay more for bigger examples of the same plants and start with the need for less growth to reach the desired appearance.

This should be a big help in choosing plants. It it the list of plants that are rated easy to keep by Tropica. You can see pictures and all the info about the plant here https://tropica.com/en/plants/search/?mode=search&sew=&dif=Easy&pgr=&ori=&use=
For in depth info about any plant in the list, click on it and you will more info. For example do you want Bucephalandra 'Kedagang'. Bucephalandra sp. 'Red', or Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green' which you can see either grown on a lava stone or potted.

As far as I am concerned the Tropica site is a superb planted tank resource. http://tropica.com/en/
what about tissue cultures? would those be better to get since they are small?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Go back and read the very fist post I made in the thread #7 :)

The advantage to tissue cultures is that you get no hitch hikers and you also quality plants. Bear in mind one usually gets what they pay for. Go cheap and you usually get cheap....

But more important is how you care for them once planted. Easy plants do not need much, but they do need a few things. Basically plants need light, co2, ammonium and minerals and trace elements. it is difficult to learn everything that is in our tap water. And even if you can afford to pa a lab to know everything, it can change with time. Easy plants should get all the co2 they need from the water with no additions.

Some folks almost never add anything to a tank for their plants. The fish and their tap provides it all. Other folks need to add things. Time and the plants usually let us know what. Just like an ailing fish can show symptoms which help do diagnose the problem, so do plants.

Have a read through this part of the Tropica site https://tropica.com/en/guide/

johnwduncan

AC Members
Aug 6, 2020
Go back and read the very fist post I made in the thread #7 :)

The advantage to tissue cultures is that you get no hitch hikers and you also quality plants. Bear in mind one usually gets what they pay for. Go cheap and you usually get cheap....

But more important is how you care for them once planted. Easy plants do not need much, but they do need a few things. Basically plants need light, co2, ammonium and minerals and trace elements. it is difficult to learn everything that is in our tap water. And even if you can afford to pa a lab to know everything, it can change with time. Easy plants should get all the co2 they need from the water with no additions.

Some folks almost never add anything to a tank for their plants. The fish and their tap provides it all. Other folks need to add things. Time and the plants usually let us know what. Just like an ailing fish can show symptoms which help do diagnose the problem, so do plants.

Have a read through this part of the Tropica site https://tropica.com/en/guide/
thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store