Best way to scrub glass without scratching?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
maybe its just a bad type of algea, I kept fish for a couple of years now and never had these happen, usualy worst case senerial was a credit card and a good sponge. since I moved into this house (like 7-8month ago) with community well water I started getting this nasty algea that just wont come off, I spend so much time on the front of the glass I dont even care about the back and sides anymore:(

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
maybe its just a bad type of algea, I kept fish for a couple of years now and never had these happen, usualy worst case senerial was a credit card and a good sponge. since I moved into this house (like 7-8month ago) with community well water I started getting this nasty algea that just wont come off, I spend so much time on the front of the glass I dont even care about the back and sides anymore:(
Hmmm, I have well water here. And, I have seen algae, had problems with it/them, the likes of which I have NEVER seen before.

However, I am not so sure these came from the well, however, I do think the well water may feed them very effectively.

When in Petco today, I noticed a brown algae similar to the one now invading all my tanks and number one on my hit list. I suspect, this has been introduced into the "tropical fish/plant stream" from a source of unknown origin. If that source is a large commercial grower, or some 3rd world country resource, who knows?

Regards,
JS

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
I talked to a locally owned lfs owner because I saw the same kind of algea and he said that he uses blades but he did notice scratches too, he said he aslo cant get it off with anything but blades.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I get some really tough brown algae and the only way I can get it off is with a regular sponge with a green rough side and a whole lot of elbow grease. Algae is tough, but not that tough. If you are really having a bunch of troubles then it could also be mineral deposits from the well sticking to the glass as well.

Also, if a rough sponge is scratching your glass aquarium then you probably don't have a glass aquarium and have been fooled on the "all glass" classification. It takes really hard plastic to scratch glass and all run of the mill sponges shouldn't come close to scratching the glass. It isn't uncommon for acrylic to be mistaken for glass.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
If sponges are scratching your aquarium, I tend to lean towards two options:

A)It's not glass. I'll tell you, I've seen some tanks that it just wasn't easy to tell.

B)You aren't actually scratching it....perhaps there is a buildup of some kind that you've become used to, but when disturbed, it looks like the glass is scratched.

My recommendation is also a MagFloat...I got mine from Drs. Foster and Smith.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I personally use a plastic putty knife with a steel edge to scrape away the algae. IMO, it was the best $4 I've spent for algae control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store