Best way to scrub glass without scratching?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I use an old Sam's Club membership card. Works great!

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
I like green pads. You can get 5, 4x6 for a buck, here, at the dollar store--but I WOULD NOT USE THEM ON PLASTIC.

If a razor blade, held at a low angle scratches your tank, STOP, it ain't glass--and don't even use a green pad!

... end of story ...

Regards,
JS

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
elbow grease....

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
How does a mag float work? I'm a newbie. I have a mystery snail and 2 otos in my 10 gal, and since I got them and planted live plants, my algae has been under control, so far.

If I start to have a problem again I'd like to get the magfloat, but I'd be really interested in knowing exactly how it works.
Thanks

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
A mag-float is a brand of magnet algae remover, its basically two strong magnets, one on each side of the glass. The interior magnet has a glass or acrylic safe abrasive to scrap algae and the exterior side, the side you hold, so you dont get your hands wet, has a felt pad to allow it to glide over the glass and not scratch it. The mag-float is diifferent from the common magnet-scrapers, because the other halves will float if it loses magnetic attraction to the exterior magnet.

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
Finnally some pictures of the scratches

Here is what a sponge did, Good thing I noticed it early and stopped.

mag-floats: I saw the ones that dont float but sink upright so you can pick it back up without geting wet. Thats what petsmart carries. those any good??

scratch.jpg

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
:eek:mg:

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Yeah I use the mag-floats from petsmart, I have one each in my larger tanks, and my 20gals share one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store