Betta 10gal Help Once Again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Spartanburg, South Carolina
so I recently made a post on what kind of fish to have in a 10 gal with a Betta and a snail and was in the process of cycling said tank. Unfortunately, my boyfriend’s grandma’s Betta fish was in need of something better than a bowl, literally so close to dying that I needed to get him into my Betta fish’s 2gal tank and get my Betta fish into the 10 gal. I did this and now thankfully, grandma’s fish seems to be getting better and will hopefully be able to pull through! Unfortunately, after adding Clifford (my Betta) into the 10gal, I selfishly decided to add four neon tetras and a snail before allowing the tank to finish cycling. The fish and snail all seem to be doing amazingly well and Clifford never flared at anyone. Be did peck at the snail a couple times but has left him alone ever since (it’s been two days). As for the neons, they look a lot better than they did when I first added them, a lot brighter and a lot calmer as well. Clifford likes to chase them every once in a while but it’s nothing violent, only curiosity is shown. However, if I try to feed the neons, Clifford will guard their food and not let them near it. This is after I have already fed him. He doesn’t eat their food, just didn’t let them near it. I tried to keep him netted while still in the tank but the neons won’t go near it. Does anyone know why this might be happening and/or how to fix it? I have noticed that he doesn’t do it as much with flakes than with the one algae wafer I put in. The neons were actually able to eat the flakes.

Guppies99

AC Members
Oct 13, 2017
I'm no expert in betta fish but have heard of the same behaviour with oscars, if I was to have a guess your betta is being territorial (probably trying to starve them so he gets his meal) it's an aggressive species and sadly the neons aren't suited to an aggressive tank your betta will probably hit the neons when they are slowed from lack of food

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
See i thought that may have been the case but he only really does it with the algae wafer. My snail will go after the wafer and start eating it and Clifford will sort of lay next to him unless a tetra tries to get close and he chases it off. He doesn’t do it with the flakes, the tetras are actually able to eat those without any problem.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it seems you've answered your question. Feed flakes, then maybe just a tiny bit of wafer.
What kind of plants or other décor do you have? A pic might help

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Well, it seems you've answered your question. Feed flakes, then maybe just a tiny bit of wafer.
What kind of plants or other décor do you have? A pic might help
I’ll try to upload photo soon but I currently have one lttle cave like hut and five fake plants, on silk and four plastic. I’m a little short on money at the moment but I’m planning on adding another cave like hut and more silk plants. I’m too nervous about live plants to try and add them to my tank... but will try to get a moss ball soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Algae wafers aren't really appropriate for either neons or bettas. Flakes or micro-pellets, with a higher protein content will be better. Both fish are micropredators, feeding on aquatic insects/larvae, and other microinvertebrates.

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Algae wafers aren't really appropriate for either neons or bettas. Flakes or micro-pellets, with a higher protein content will be better. Both fish are micropredators, feeding on aquatic insects/larvae, and other microinvertebrates.
I had read that the wafers would be fine for the tetras, mostly got them for my snail though. When I dropped it in the tank it was mostly for the snail rather than the tetras but I figured it would be alright for the tetras too until Clifford started guarding it from them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store