Betta - How much flare is too much flare?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
I've had a betta in a 20 gallon for about two months now and I figured 20 gallons is pretty big for one betta so I divided the tank and added another betta to the other side. The divider is a black plastic mesh like material and I have it double layered to make it a little harder to see through. Anyways, my two bettas (both males) will occasionally see each other and start flaring at each other (they really can only see each other if they're right in front of each other). How much flaring is too much to the point it will really stress them out? I sat and watched them from a distance and they flared at each other a couple times within about 25 minutes or so.

I read an article recently on betta stress and flaring and they said "Bettas will not get exhausted (when flaring), as a matter of fact, I have two brothers jarred side by side who have been continually flaring at each other for a year now. I believe that a little action and company is good for the moral. So I let my bettas see each other."

I think continually flaring at each other is too much, but how much is too much?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Who really knows? All is a guess as to the genetic makeup of a common bred fish. Bettas will flare even at their own reflection.

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Yeah I used to have a black background on my tank and they would flare at their reflection constantly! So I took it down and they stopped. Even after I did that one would still find his reflection from the black filter against the glass so I had to put a white sheet of paper in between the filter and the tank lol.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If you're worried about stress, I would say not to be worried. There's been a lot of studies looking at betta flaring and the cost of aggression displays and whether or not males can infer if they would win or lose against another opponent after watching two males fight (really cool, but they actually can figure this out). In a lot of these studies they'll measure cortisol levels and they don't really spike too much. Not any more than they do with normal handling. In other words, catching them is more stressful than seeing a possible opponent.
I had a female that would flare at her reflection, at the cories and kuhlis in the tank and even the plants. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. If you see that their colour starts to drop, or they stop eating, then I would worry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store