bettas like mini corn?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
I got some new female bettas 4 days ago and put them in my bn pleco tank while im getting there tanks ready. So i was just finishing up some asian for dinner and decided to see if the plecos would like some baby corn (or mini corn, u know what im talking about). I threw a tiny piece in and the plecos haven't touched it but the 2 female bettas are tearing off the little kernels like crazy! :lol2:

Anyone else had fish eat strange things?

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
We give our fish different things depending on what kinds of fish... They like fancy lettuce, green beans, orange slices. They go nuts for those frozen bloodworm cubes, too, but I guess that's not considered "strange" if you're a fish :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
in my experience and from what i've read here on AC, female bettas are absolute pigs! lol. they seem to enjoy food more and get all gluttonous when it isn't intended for them (frog food, bottom feeder food, veggies for plecos, etc).

wonder if corn would have the same effect on a fish's digestive system as peas?

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer

I doubt it. Corn isn't really all that great. Just filler for the most part from what I understand.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
in my experience and from what i've read here on AC, female bettas are absolute pigs! lol. they seem to enjoy food more and get all gluttonous when it isn't intended for them (frog food, bottom feeder food, veggies for plecos, etc).

I thought peas have an effect because of the high fiber content. I don't think fish can digest fiber and that is why it makes them go, same with people. If thats the case then I can assume since corn is a plant and has a cell wall it is also heavy in fiber and could potentially have the same effect as peas.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
All I know is that corn is terrible for most other animals. I've never really looked into it in depth to know why off the top of my head.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
All I know is that corn is terrible for most other animals. I've never really looked into it in depth to know why off the top of my head.
nutritionally it's severely lacking and yes it's just a filler, but idk if it would be "good" for constipation

In most animals corn causes the runs because its outter "husk" is undigestable, which is means that its nutritional portion is inaccessable. I don't know if it has a loosening effect on fish but I'm guessing that it probably does.

Dieprophezeiung

^^ also my gamertag
Jul 13, 2010
auburn, alabama
Real Name
Charlie
Well I haven't tried again, and did not notice any side effects.. So idk. Maybe long term feeding would upset them, but i dont foresee anyone feeding a staple of corn to there fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store