Bettas...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
My Heater Keeps My Water 78-82 DEpending On Wether Or Not I Have My Windows Open.

That's a <i>bit</i> too much fluctuation IMO. Mine is from 78 - 80, at worst. You might want to look into exchanging the heater for a more accurate one. People here like the 6" visitherm, I use the 6" hagen radiant and it works well. My room gets cold at night (low 70s to the mid 60s, a little bit higher now in the summer) and it keeps it well within range.

A Long Time Ago In This Thread, Someone Said They Liked To Use Clay Flower Pots As Caves For A Betta? I've Never Seen Bettas Paying Much Attention To The Decor. What I Have So Far On My List For This Future 2.5:
A Lighthouse Aquarium Decoration
A Few Silk Plants
A Small Bag Of Gravel.

Bettas do like some kinds of decor when they settle down. They like to sleep in plants and the clay pots are great for two reasons: some bettas sleep in there, as Leopardess mentioned, and it provides a hiding spot if your betta is feeling stressed. A well adjusted betta might not even seem to notice a flower pot, but it gives him peace of mind; bettas and most small aquarium fish are prey for larger fish and animals; when they feel like they can't hide they get stressed. I originally thought about putting ghost shrimp into my betta tank, but for numerous reasons decided against it (bio-load, my inexperience, size of the tank, and the fact that my fish sleeps near the bottom of the tank), and the cave was originally for them, but my betta likes it now. The current in my Minibow is higher than I would like, but my little guy likes to rest on the far side of the pot, presumably because the current is low in that area. Your betta won't care about the lighthouse - becareful it doesn't take up too much space (swimming room!) and it won't hurt your fish. I have about 3 medium silk plants in there and I wouldn't put much more unless you bunched them or something. Open space is important for bettas, as well as cover.

Do You Cycle An Aquarium That Small, Or Can You Get Away?

From what I understand you don't have to worry about cycling, just keep one betta and do the water changes. Another member mentioned having good results using media from an established tank, but if you keep on the water changes you should be fine (don't get slack or you'll be in for problems!).

Good observation, Leopardess, I was wondering the same thing, but decided to keep my mouth shut on the subject.

hcgirl80

i is a gud righter lyke leela.
Jun 3, 2004
USA
www.freewebs.com
What's The Matter With My Heater?
:confused:
Oh, And What Do IME & IMO Mean???<Sorry, The Annoying Newbie Jerk Coating Wares Off In About A Month> <What Newbie Jerk Coating?> <You Know What It Is!> <No I Don't!> <Oh Well>

Last edited:

hcgirl80

Jun 3, 2004
USA
www.freewebs.com
Thanx. I Had Had All I Could Take Of 'Blending In'.:p:laugh:

hcgirl80

Jun 3, 2004
USA
www.freewebs.com
How many gallons of water does 1 betta need?

hcgirl80

Jun 3, 2004
USA
www.freewebs.com
I'm givin It 2 gallons. Its gonna be in a community with other fish. No other bettas, but I think someday I will get a male betta and a female one and put them in there own tank together and breed them. I have a breeding question: Will the boy fry get along with the dad? I know the male fry will have to be separated from the dad before the male fry are adults. As for the females, I dunno.

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I would say 2 gallons minimum for one betta. With 2 you can keep a 25 watt heater and do weekly water changes. 5 would be ideal because if you get slack in water changes it would remain okay. You can't make a 2 gallon community tank.

You can keep females together but it has to be done carefully. Female bettas create a social hiearchy and the bottom rung female always gets picked on. The more fish there are the more diffused it gets. If you keep a group of females they need to have plenty of hiding places too.

You can't keep females and males together at all, nor can you really keep two males. And you can't keep a breeding pair together - the male will beat the female up after spawning so she won't eat the eggs.

Please do some reading either on the Net or in textbooks; all this information can easily be googled.

Last edited:

hcgirl80

Jun 3, 2004
USA
www.freewebs.com
I was thinking breeding the bettas after I get my community settled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store