Big Als online

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by silver_shark
I ordered a Filstar XP3 today from them. About how quick is Big Als in getting stuff shipped. Do you thik I will get this item this week??
They were quick with my orders from them. You should get it this week, but there's the Christmas rush too.....

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
Originally posted by silver_shark
I ordered a Filstar XP3 today from them. About how quick is Big Als in getting stuff shipped. Do you thik I will get this item this week??
Maybe beginning of next week. Wait a few days then do the package tracking. Also I think you will get an email when it is shipped with the tracking info. I've ordered from them twice, seemed like shipping time was very reasonable. I agree their prices are much lower and they have so many items I can't find locally, but the website leaves much to be desired. Many times I have to go to another website for item description & pics. The strip lights I ordered were very well packed. double points on wednesdays :)

Mongrel

I am just a mere member
Nov 29, 2002
Mass
home.attbi.com
When ever I order things from Big Als, I receive my products on an average of 3 - 4 buisness days. 80gJoe is right, there may be a little lag time due to christmas.

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
While they do have stores here in Canada a lot of them are franchises. So I doubt that has much to do with the price differences. Part of the reason I think they are so cheap in the US is they were trying to break into the market and now that they are there they want a bigger piece of the pie. Ther online prices here are the same as the store prices. At least on the half dozen or so items I have checked. I am forced to buy from them now as all the Mom and Pop type places are gone. I would rather deal with the small independant as I think you get a better quality of service.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Yes.. MOM and pop stores are the BEST for service quality.

But for me, I prefer to do my own research and save ALOT of money!!!!

Barbie

Fishaholic
Most Mom and Pop stores are no longer in business, due to the inability to make enough money to keep their doors open, when people insist on saving that dollar or two and mail ordering, rather than buying those same supplies locally. Rent, good help, good fish, and the time to stand around and teach new hobbyists how to keep fish are expensive. Someone has to pay for it. If you don't, pretty soon, the stores that bother to do a good job aren't there anymore.

Barbie

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
Well, I am all for the small LFS existing and doing well.

But for instance in Dallas, it's not mail order that is killing the LFS, it's large chain stores which are undercutting prices.

One of the nicer locally owned and operated sotres here went under less than a year ago, I have a rack of 24 gallon tanks I bought from them when they were closing. Biggest reason was that people could get all the equipment they needed from petco, or petsmart. And this shop didn't do any specialization that would help it survive, like offering services and such to customers.

The places I see surviving are differentiating themselves by offering better products, competative prices (it can be done), and thriving off the people who get fed up with the poor livestock selections and crappy service at the others. Here for isntance they ahve hourly rates to ahve thier people come out and clean and maintain your tanks for you. Not something the hobbiest would use, but something offices do, and that Petsmart doesnt offer.

I still vastly prefer to buy all my livestock local. And usually newer products I'm buying I buy local so I can get a look at them pre-purchase. But I wont say I dont hit Big Als for things like amquel and filter supplies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store