Big Plans!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Putting some big plans into motion today. Gonna be a bit of a busy day getting things all together.

Bit of a hint though:

Picked this bad boy up from Lake Huron 2 weeks ago in preparation.
20210827_202334.jpg
20210830_183039.jpg

Played around with some ideas, went for this structure after cutting the piece at the fold.
20210905_215752.jpg

And a rather large clump of vallisneria gigantea to pair with the scape. These grow potentially to 6 feet long or even more.
20210906_150455.jpg

I will be coming back later to post further updates. But this is a rather big step forward.

Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Well I know you are not planning a nano-tank.

I was thinking a pond, but Canada is a tough place for a pond due to longer winters etc.

So, are you trying an indoor pond or a BIG TANK?

So you like a mystery? If you can figure a way to get fish into Canada from the USA, I have an interesting proposition for you. Bit of a hint it is because of your skill with spawning your fish.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Well I know you are not planning a nano-tank.

I was thinking a pond, but Canada is a tough place for a pond due to longer winters etc.

So, are you trying an indoor pond or a BIG TANK?

So you like a mystery? If you can figure a way to get fish into Canada from the USA, I have an interesting proposition for you. Bit of a hint it is because of your skill with spawning your fish.
Well, it's not for any NEW fish.
Have a couple fish that were really pressing for a permanent upgrade!
So.... Big tank time! Finally took the steps into a larger tank, bigger than my 55 gallons.

Big wood, big plant, I can't wait to see!
I'm still in the setup and cleaning process. Today has been a mess, had to move 2 tanks around and the TV plus clear a path to move the thing in.

As for where I am at now:

20210907_18tg0433.jpg
20210907_1815fd59.jpg20210907_192220.jpg20210907_193536.jpg

A 135 gallon! 6 foot long tank :D

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
It's finally full and the fish transferred over. All but 4, who will be added later (from another tank).

Filters stuffed with filter floss to clear out the stirred up water. Pardon the mess. We had to rearrange our whole living room and move things out of the way to clear a path, so things are all over the place, have to clean them tomorrow.

Filling this thing up.
20210907_213710.jpg

Nosy cat.
20210907_214122.jpg20210907_215841.jpg20210907_230144.jpg

Last photo of tank without the fish moved in.
20210907_235550.jpg

filters setup up top. DIY planter sumps. Stuff full of media and floating plants for nitrate control. Powered by internal pumps.
20210907_235635.jpg

Full view with room lights on.20210907_235642.jpg

and finally the first inhabitants moved in. Poor guys been in a bucket all day with a sponge filter.
20210908_001351.jpg

Stock right now:

2 goldfish
2 mollies
2 platies.

The livebearers are old and these are my retiring group, they get to retire in luxury. Been slowly dwindling. After they're gone, will not add more since my water is too soft for them.

Later I will be moving my 4 hoplos over to this tank from my 55g, they will enjoy the space and are temperature compatible with goldfish (I keep mine at 72F since that's usually where room temp sits at outside of heat waves).

After the livebearers pass, it'll just be the goldfish and hoplo cats in this tank. Think I'd like to keep the space open more, since the goldfish badly needed an upgrade. They finally got it :D

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Looks nice. Fish pretty much all like more space.

Is the next tank going to be a 180 or a 220?

And how badly do any of us really need a couch. I mean a couch takes up as much space as a 220, maybe more.......

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Looks nice. Fish pretty much all like more space.

Is the next tank going to be a 180 or a 220?

And how badly do any of us really need a couch. I mean a couch takes up as much space as a 220, maybe more.......
My next big tank will be a 135g or more as well, have a L240 pleco who will need one one day, but hes a super slow grower, unlike the goldfish. So he's not as pressing of a matter at the moment.
Have to wait for a house for any further large tanks. I'm on a 2nd floor apartment building and I dont think the floors would handle 2 large tanks on top of the others I already have.

Once we have our house though, the pleco's river biotope tank is the first project. Gonna be the pleco, my Farlowella mariaelenae, and a corydoras species, was considering brochis/corydoras splendens for that one. Maybe look into another pleco species possibly too, depending how I feel then.

A couple smaller tanks are planned too... go for a 20g for my corydoras loxozonus and maybe a group of pristella tetras. I love my loxozonus cories a lot, theyre adorable. My second favourite species right behind my eques. So I'd love a tank based on them.

But these goldfish, they were Itty bitty babies when I got them, and they grow so fast. Been in a 46 gallon bowfront growing out but been pushing the limits at 6 inches now so been looking for a suitable tank that also isn't too heavy for my floors. A friend of mine is moving and is upgrading his clown loaches to a 220 gallon, so offered to sell the 135 he had. It's the upper limit my floors can handle I think, so it works perfect. Was in the market for a 100-135g.

The goldfish were kinda an oops. I was catching tadpoles with my kid to show him them and teach him about them when we netted a tiny 1" goldfish baby. They're invasive here and have wild breeding populations. It would not have been responsible conservation wise to release him back, and selling him would have been difficult because my locality goldfish are throwaway pets and get stuck for life in poor conditions. So I chose to keep him. Dewormed him, then knew theyre social so he'd need a buddy but he was so small at the time. I picked the smallest goldfish the store had, a little ranchu baby. The ranchu taught the wild one to eat processed foods and theyre best buds despite it not being advisable to mix the 2 kinds together. They're inseparable.

But within a year old, he's already at 6 inches and will reach 12 inches eventually, so a 46g is by no means suitable for a common goldfish any longer at that size.
A pond would have been awesome, but I'm in an apartment unit with a small shared backyard. Don't trust the neighbours not to mess with the fish and I don't trust the neighborhood rats not to eat the fish either. So a pond for him was not an option here either.

Other problem locally is people sell used tanks at expensive prices, but sometimes find the odd good deal. So being pressed to get a larger home for this guy all while not breaking the bank is important too. And making sure the tank fits weight wise haha.

I'll be listing the 46g for sale. Would have been cool to move one of my 20g tanks to it instead, but it takes up more space, so opting to sell it instead. Not adding any "new" additional tanks until we get a house either.

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Cleared a little after a water change. The goldfish digging stirred it up even more.
Isn't substrate fun lol
20210909_000111.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Awesome! You are a master scaper for sure. Mine usually end up looking like a Tsunami ran through.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Awesome! You are a master scaper for sure. Mine usually end up looking like a Tsunami ran through.
Hey, post-tsunami looks could look very natural, which can work ?

I had a few weeks to plan the scape before the tank came, after I found the driftwood. Finding the wood, I had to decide what I was working with. I knew my plant options were limited thanks to goldfish being rough with plants, they eat many of them.
I had giant vals in one of my 20g and I was having to trim them almost daily, they grow nuts. So I figured they'd be really good in a tank this large and I could let them grow as much as they'd like. And hornwort as well, grows decently. Floaters too, duckweed is a snack for the goldfish, I toss it in for them to enjoy. But lettuce and salvinia to help with nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store