Big Problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
Ok, I have some plans drawn out for my own do it yourselfer... Now would it be better to hook my filter up as the intake from the aquarium, and then hook the outake from the filter upto the intake to the refugium, then the outake from the refugium to the tank? or would you hook up the intake and filter seperate from the tank right into the refugium and out, and the filter on its own as well? I can design it either way.. but just wondering if I could do it as filter first then from the filter to the refugium.

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
Alright I'm back with this thread! I just got some R/O water in, and started usin it.. I add 5 gals every week! I keep up with takin what algae I have left out of the tank... I just started my R/O, so I won't see a improvement just yet... Now I'm usin the 5 gallon jugs, how many would you guys suggest on using for my water changes every week??? Here is a list of what The store does to there water, let me know what you guys think... I thought it was pretty good!

Here is his Stages of Purification.

1. Preliminary filtration.
5 micron activated carbon filter to filter out loose sediment and excfess clorine.

2. Ion Exchange
Dual tank ionization water softner to remove and hardness from the water and assist in demineralization.

3. Activated Carbon Bed Filtration
Activated carbon bed filter to remove chlorine, THM's volatile organic contaminants, herbicides and pesticides.

4. Secondary Filtration
5 Micron carbon filter to remove any residual clorine still in system.

5. SOlids Filtration
5 micron sediment filter to remove any loose carbon in the water

6. Reverse Osmosis
Water is forced at high pressure through a membrane which removes 99% of dissolved solids such as LEAD, copper, sodium, nitrates, radium, salts and bacteria.

7. Air filtration
Replacement air in the storage tanks is filtered using a 5 micron filter to remove any dust or pollen particals in the air.

8. Carbon Block Filtration.
Storage water is circulated through a 5 micron carbon block filter to polish the taste of the water.

9. Ultraviolet Sterilization.
Circulated water is then sterilized using a UV light.

10. Ozonaztion.
Ozone gas is then injected into the water before it returns to the storage tank to constantly sanitize the inside surfaces of the tank.

11. Carbon Block Filtration.
Before dispensing the water is again put through a 5 micron carbon block filter to polish the tatse of the water.

12. UV Sterilization.
The final stage is another UV light at the dispenser head to sterilize your water before you put it in your sterilized bottle..

So this guy is using 12 stages... Any ideas... Should this water be alright??

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Sounds fine.

I'd say you'd be good to buy a ro/di unit, like the one mentioned in this thread from filtersdirect on ebay. That's the one I have. My algae is DEFINITELY on it's way out.

Good water, low feeding, lots of water changes, and you're on your way to recovery!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store