Big Problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
But I am glad to say that this will have to be the last thing to buy!! Well the last major thing! Then it is safe to say I will have everything that I need!

Peace peeps... Off to bed now

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I got my ro unit off ebay but that was in the UK so I can't vouch for the products in America sorry. I would say that you'd be pretty unlucky to pick up a really bad one. There all much of a muchness and you can upgrade to a better ro membrane at a later date if needs be. I'd go for it. They're pretty easy to plumb in providing you've got some basic diy skills. All the tubes entering and exiting the unit are colour coded normally so it's just plug and play as it were! You generally plunb the unit to your water supply using a self piercing saddle valve. When you move you can turn this off like a tap and leave it on the pipe then disconnect the system. At your new address you just need a new self piercing saddle clamp and they cost virtually nothing. You can also get adapters to connect one to a threaded faucet if you've got one available.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Shark.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I got mine off of ebay from filterdirect and haven't had an algae problem other than diatoms so far. It performs really well, and it is a full RO/DI.. I have the nicer unit with 3 gal storage container etc, but you can get a basic for 95 to 99 (buy it now) and 24 for shipping.

They have an easy connector for under sink, all you do is take off the cold water connector to your faucet, screw on the hose connector for their unit, screw your hose back on (make sure to use joint tape on all of the connections), then drill a hole in your drain line, hook up your drain hose.. Its a unit.

Directions come with on how to hook up what hoses where.

Mark

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
Finally got him

Well I finally was able to take a pic of me urchin!

He is very camera shy! I am in the process of trying to catch my crab! But he out smarted my trap!! Anyone have any suggestions on how to catch him... I was using a plastic water bottle, with two holes in it, with some bait.. Put it by where he frequents... But He was'nt in the bottle when I checked it in the morning

100_0232.jpg

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
I have'nt really noticed him taking off much of the coraline, he mostly crawls up the side, and eats the algae. I'm trying to get rid of him, But the guy that wanted it, did'nt take him.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I really like your Urchin, and it seems like you are making headway on the algae...

So when you say he mainly sticks to the glass, Do you have any Coraline on the glass that he is eating? How does he act toward other fish? Are they aggressive? Do your fish just stay away?

Michael Marino

SALT WATER FOR LIFE
Mar 5, 2006
Long Island, New York
Thats some bad Hair algae . Purchases alot of turbos and ect with help. you may also want to pick up some phosponge from any LFS!

River I may be wrong but through my research and from my own experience salfins don't eat hair algae but it may just depend on this fish! any way this is good advice any how
Turbo snails, sally lightfoot crabs, and a sailfin benny!

You should also purchase a good reverse osmosis unit, good water will help get rid of the growth.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12093&N=2004+113775
I have the 50gpd 4 stage unit, it works great :)

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
Big question, I was wondering if a refugium would also be the way to go, as would the R/O system... But someone told me a good refugium would do the same thing as the R/O system.. You just don't have to buy the R/O system, and it is a more natural way to go... If this is so.. I have made out some plans on a do it yourself refugium... But was wondering if I still use a canister filter, or should I combine it with my refugium... Info please :)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I think both would help, meaning do both. And to the person that said that the fuge would be more natural I'd ask them if they thought tap water was more natural in the ocean. The point with RO/DI is to take out the stuff we add to drinking water as well as what leeches from the sources. It might not be natural but neither is an aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store