Big Problem!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
I had a yellow tang that had the same problem and he died about two weeks later he lost his fins and was looking thin and not eating. I hope that your tang recovers good luck.

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
I have been poking around and I want your oppinions on this!!

This is what it does

"attaches to your phacet in seconds. Removes sediments, chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, organic chemicals and inorganic ions from tap water. Includes 4-oz. bottles of pH Adjuster and Electro-Right, faucet adapter and kink-free tubing. Replacement cartridges are available. For fresh and saltwater aquariums."

and this is the picture

Tapwaterpurifier.jpg

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
Or I could spend 3 dollars/5 gallon pail, of R/O water... But I think this unit would suffice. Then taking trips into the city just for my water.... We are patiently waiting on replys.. This unit is $59.99 canadian, and the replacement filters are 29.99...... Better then paying the 200.00 to 300.00 dollars on a R/O unit...

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I'm not sure where you heard that about the ro water getting contaminated but it's not true. If you purchase an ro system or any water filtration unit, including the one you're looking at, you need to store the water after mixing in salt, and buffering if needed, for at least 24 hours before using it. There are a few reasons for this, including allowing the oxygen/carbon dioxide levels to equalise and allowing the salt to mix thoroughly with the water. During this time you need to keep the container the water is in covered to prevent dust settling on the water and contaminating it. This may be where the contamination story came from. To summarise, the water will not contaminate on exposure to air and actually needs to be aerated in order to equalise the o2/co2 levels.

Shark.

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
Excellent Shark!!! Thanx for that!!! I am planning on using my 10 gallon bucket with a lid! Drilling a hole for the tube, siliconing it, Using my old power head inside the bucket for airation, and a heater! Now is that good or what?!?!?! Hehehehe....

So the tape r/o will be good?!?! I think it should do... ANd if it does I will post and let everyone know!!! This may be a good way to go instead of the More expensive ones... Might tick off some people that spent the hundreds of dollars!!! But I hope it works!!!

Peace

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Sounds like you got a plan!! The bucket with powerhead and heater should be fine. Eventually you might want bigger than 10 gal of storage but thats easy to change later on if that becomes the case. On the point of the filter. It looks like this is one of the de-ioniser resin based units from the picture you posted. It will undoubtedly do a good job of filtering your water but I question it's long term economic viability. The problem with these systems is that the filter inserts can last as little as 20 gallons if you're source water is bad!! This is in comparison to getting hundreds if not thousands of gallons out of your filter replacements on an ro system. The initial cost of the ro unit may be higher, but long term I think you'll find the cheaper de-ioniser unit is a lot more expensive to run. It wouldn't surprise me if an ro unit had paid for it's extra initial investment within 6-8 months compared to the other unit. If you haven't already bought it, i'd urge you to read this review - http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-twp.htm - and consider an ro unit again. If you've already bought it, let us know how yours does!

Shark.

stevesharp

"Sharks Are Awesome"
Apr 11, 2006
Canada, Ontario
would ebay be a trust worthy site to get a R/O system.. I think I will go with the actual unit! I can get a 4 stage off there for about $101.00..... I don't know how to hook it up... But it will be educational :)

Ohhh... and when I move or move... Can I unhook this unit and take it with me?!?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store