black occ. clown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i have had a pair of them for almost a year,.. the all dark one was fine the other with a patch of orange on nose was kinda dumb and listless,
after a few months the other one got better,..more equal,.. but the last few months the all black one,.. seemed to just lie on the bottom, and stay there not eat like the other and its been this way for a while every now and again it would eat some, but not come up to the top,.. and when done it would sink to the botton,, was worried for a while,
but it wasn't loosing weight and no marks on it,. no stringy poo,.. nothing would act alright and then go back to bottom and kinda lay sideways,..
today and the last couple days it been flat on its side,..

and seems kinda pinky black,.. the whole time it was being different it was mouthing a bit more than normal,.. i haven't seen aly sign of noticeable disease,..
can it be genetic? or something brain wasting?
at different times i've seen the other trying to push it to the top,.. which i though it was fighting it,.. but have since seen it is helping,..

also few weeks ago, i noticed the other growing spurt,. where this ine isn't getting bigger,.. but i figured the other was becoming female,.. they were about 1-2 inched when i got them,.. almost a year ago,..

water parameters are 0 amm,nitrite,nitrate, and phosphate,.
not sure what is up with it,..
and if anything rings a bell to anyone,..

don't want to loose him but couldn't find anything to tell it was i'll other than the way it was acting,..
no flashing or nothing????
any ideas,.. it looks like he's getting worse,.. but still dosent look thin,

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Can you QT that fish in another tank? I am just taking a wild guess here but from the video and this link it sounds like maybe Velvet. I would take action ASAP into getting a QT up and running and medicine on hand to treat it. Your lawnmower appears to be breathing very fast as well, so maybe it is just your oxygen levels (ORP) of your tank. If you have a pump and airstone you may want to put that in the tank, in the back somewhere, to raise your O2 levels. You can do this for a day or 2 and see if you notice any positive results in their breathing, if not, take it out. Seriously though, I would work on the hospital/QT tank (10gallon) as fast as you can. Saltwater fish problems progress very rapidly and you have to act very fast to save the fish when you notice major problems.

Hopefully someone with more disease knowledge than I do can respond in the mean time with a more accurate diagnosis. Still a good idea to have a QT up and running and a few meds like copper and some others ready for things like this.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I don't know what his affliction may be, but he is gilling...bad. I would say it may be the end of the road for him....Goodluck.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
the clown has been doing this for many months,.. i have had an air hose hooked up to powerhead before when i dosed for red slime treatment and they were still breathing hard,

put air on power head again this morning,..
but the clown is really pale and keep trying to be with the other one and it keep shoving it away,..
the lawnmower is still running around and breathing hard,
neither one is flashing or covered with anything,. so i'm not sure its velvet,. just wish i knew what meds to give,..
another forum said try furan 2 and it don't help try formalin as a catch all cure all,.?
are these safe with clown/blennie? as i would need to treat all of them right?
even the one that isn't sick,.. one would think?

what ever it is could is still be in the main tank,.. how about the anemone would it harbor it also,..
i assume that treating the whole tank will kill the bacteria in the tank,..
so that is out right,..

there is no symptoms other than gilling,.. some one had to know what going on here........

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
day 2 of the treatment of antibiotics and seems a we bit better but still not much of improvement,..
wanting to combine the quick cure treatment at same time but am hesitent,
don't want to stress him much,
also not sure if it is ok on the blennie
quick cure has formalin and malachite green in it,..

any one chime in one this please

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
update,. i have added the quick cure, and few days ago,.. and all is tollerating it fine,.. the first day of it i thought i was going to loose him but after the first day he seemed to get stronger,. and now he can keep himself upright,.. both are still gilling faster than the non affected one,.. but all is going good,..
the clown is now trying to chase down some flakes,.. and is eating a few,.. the blennie is good,..

not real sure how long to keep treating, the info from the c. cure, says up to 10 days so i'll head for that number,..

unless some one else can chime in,..
they still are on the antibotic, as well,....... almost done with that treatment,..

i just hope something is going to get them better,.. if these don't
not sure what to use next

his color came back the 2nd day of treatment of the antibiotic, he was almost pink with white stripes,..

but seems to have all his black back again,..

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
day, 8 in quarantine, and have finished the antibiotics
day 6 of the quick cure, and this morning he was swimming all around like a normal fish he hasn't done that for month and months,.. keeping fingers crossed that he recovering very well,..

:feedback:

i swear, it bad enough talking to my self, but to be writing to my self it's kinda ridiculous,...lol

i keep posting in case some one has some thing wrong with their fish and how mine is tolorating meds and recovery,..

here's a video of him today,

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/dixienut/?action=view&current=100_1987.flv

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
LOL, I think because this is being posted in a "Sub Forum" it easily gets overlooked. Not your fault, it is the way the board is setup now.

Your doing great it sounds like, definately on the road to a full recovery which doesn't happen too often in this hobby so well done!

Keep posting, like you said, even if people are not responding your information is very helpful.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I agree, the subcategories do tend to get overlooked. Good for you and the recovery!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store